Wondering what an android tv box for dummies is? People nowadays want to learn more about these boxes. They want to know whether this type of device to stream movies and shows is for them. There has been a lot of different information out there on the subject that can be confusing, so let’s break it down into some quick facts about what you need to know before buying one! Consider this as a guide to an Android TV box for dummies!
This article will discuss everything you’ll need to know about setting up an Android TV device and using its features.
Table of Contents
What Is An Android TV Box
When compared to its older brother, the Android smartphone, Android TV as a platform has some specific differences that set it apart from the formerly released device. This section will talk about why you should use one.
As I mentioned earlier, Android TV is a device that came out at around the same time as the recent Lollipop release of Android. It means that any devices released after 2015 are guaranteed to be using this new software. However, unlike its predecessor, Android TV focuses on interaction with TVs rather than smartphones or tablets. Android TV’s interface is different from the traditional Android and works with a remote rather than a touchscreen.
Android TV was released as an attempt to bring Google’s services, such as YouTube and Google Play, into the living room. This means that services and apps such as Netflix and HBO Go are also available. This is especially useful for someone like me who lives in a dorm because my only means of watching my favorite shows on my TV at home is through an ancient XBOX 360 that barely functions anymore.
A good example of how I would use this device would be if I wanted to watch a movie or some television. I could use my Android phone as a remote and just cast the video from my phone to the TV.
This can be used if you have a Chromecast plugged into your TV. This is Google’s short-range wireless device that allows any compatible device to be used as a source for your television. Also, check out our article on How to Install Kodi on Chromecast.
Things To Know Before Buying An Android TV box For Dummies
The major difference between the two models is games vs. non-gaming content. The Fire TV Stick doesn’t have game support, but it does have apps like YouTube and Netflix.
The Amazon Fire TV Blu Ray doesn’t play games. But it does come with a Kindle FreeTime feature that’s free for 8 hours each day of use. The Fire TV Blu Ray is also the only one with a remote with actual buttons and a microphone for voice search.
You can download or sideload apps on both devices. Amazon has an app store and other 3rd party stores like 1mobile Market. On the other hand, Google Play Store is not available right now, but you have access to many amazing android tv apps such as Netflix and YouTube.
App developers’ competition is getting tougher, and Fire TV is winning some while Google has more options than Amazon.
- (2GB) Fire Stick: 8GB or 16GB is available. 4 GB is reserved for the operating system, and everything else is available. However, you can only store two apps at a time on the storage. So if you’re downloading a large file from Amazon or Google, you’ll need to use Wi-Fi for that process. Sideloading apps can only be done via a USB hard drive or connect to your computer with Wi-Fi only through the USB cable provided.
- (8GB) Fire TV $69.99: 16 GB available and dedicated to apps, so you can install as many apps as you like. The operating system has two parts. The one installed on the Fire TV Stick is a copy of Android 4.2.2 that you can use to sideload apps. But the part that’s installed on your Fire TV Blu Ray is a “pure” version of Android 4.3 (with Amazon content only).
- (32GB) Fire TV: 32GB with room to spare for everything, including games, if you have enough storage space.
Ways to Set Up An Android TV Box For Dummies
You can easily set up your android tv box by following the mentioned steps:
- The first step to your TV box setup is opening Google Play Store app on your phone or tablet. Make sure you connect both devices via Bluetooth, not via Wi-Fi. Once the pair, tap “Install” on any app you want (the one with the arrow pointing upwards). This will start the installation on the device.
- You can now switch to your Android TV and open the Google Play store. You’ll see a new tab on the screen called “My apps & games.” Here you’ll see a list of apps you’ve already installed on your other devices and a search bar at the top where you can type any other apps you’re looking to install.
- All types of apps and games are available on the google play store, such as Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, and Spotify. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications > Google Play Store and select “Enable ” to get started with it on your Android TV.
- You can use the Android TV box as a second screen for your Android device to display notifications. Like if you get a text message – while the device is on lock. This is helpful if you’re playing a game on your Android TV and want to view your notifications simultaneously
- You first need to open “Settings” on your phone or tablet. Then, go to “Wireless & networks,” “VPN,” and hit “Add VPN Network.” Select “OpenVPN / L2TP” and input the following information:
Server Address: vpn.androidtvboxvault.com, Protocol: UDP, Server Port: 1194 (or any port number between 1 and 65535), Username Client ID: vpn, Password: vpn.
To connect to your VPN or Wi-fi network from your Android TV, go to Settings > Wireless & networks > VPN server or client list and tap “Connect.” You’ll see a new screen that says you’re connected to your VPN server after a few seconds. Tap “Save” at the bottom of the screen.
How to reset an old Android TV box?
If you already own an Android TV and want to set that android tv box from scratch, go to your home screen, press the 'settings' icon, locate 'storage and reset,' then select 'factory reset.'
How to connect the TV to Wi-Fi?
It's pretty simple; go to your tv settings and select 'Wi-Fi,' under which you'll find several network connections in your area, from which you can choose yours and connect the tv to your Wi-Fi.
How do I set a parental lock pin on my Android TV?
Go to Settings>Parental control.
You are officially all caught up on the guide to android tv box for dummies. Now enjoy watching endless channels and streaming on various other apps with the help of your new Android TV box.
This post contains affiliate links, here’s a link to our affiliate disclaimer.