Not only humans but all the objects in the world have an identity and can be described. Have you ever wondered car has an identity of its own too? No? Well, every vehicle has its own unique identifier code VIN, which means Vehicle Information Number. In the same way, every Chevrolet car has its individual VIN. The VIN has a specific format that is globally recognized. Thus, you must know about these Chevy VIN Decoder tools.
In this article, we will let you know about the 10 best free Chevy VIN decoder tools. The decoder tool is essential and helpful in a way that these numbers provide you information about every single detail that you never knew and have been wanting to know about your ride!
If you have ever been curious about what the combination of 17 alphanumeric characters (digits and capital letters) on the registration plate of your vehicle means, this article should interest you. Let’s have some more knowledge about the VIN before we proceed to find out about the list of Chevy Vin decoder tools.
For standardization of car’s serial numbers, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) program was initiated in 1980 by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). All cars built before 1981 did not follow a universal standard and thus required manufacturer-specific information to decode. Now, why was this worth the ISO’s time?
The whole thing was created to ensure that no particular car was ever passed off as another regarding the model, production run, making, etc. The VIN serves as the car’s fingerprint, as no two vehicles in operation have the same VIN. Thus, we can say that VIN is the identifying code for any specific automobile. So, when you check your vehicle code through the mentioned Chevy VIN decoder tool, you know that yours is one unique identity.
What’s So Special About the VIN?
The VIN is a key instrument which helps in cutting down on vehicle crime and theft. It’s terrific to know that it can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty, claims, and insurance coverage. The fingerprint analogy works quite well. Unlike registration plates, the VIN cannot be changed.
The VIN is registered and physically fixed to the car, often in several places and is attached to it forever when it’s first being built. The attachment makes it even easier for officials to trace vehicles that have been lost or are doing things that could cause others trouble. It means if you are ever unsure about your car, your Chevy VIN decoder will be there to help you out!
See also: – 10 Best Free Ford VIN Decoder Tools
But where Can the VIN be Found?
Well, you can find the VIN at the dashboard on the driver’s side of the vehicle, or you can look at the corner of the dashboard where its end is meeting the windshield. If you are still unable to find it, look at the door post. It is likely that the VIN will also be displayed at this location.
You can also have a look at the VIN in the following other locations:
- Insurance card/ Insurance policy.
- Vehicle title and registration.
Once you find the VIN, make sure those 17 characters don’t include the letters I (i), O (o), and Q (q). These letters create confusion with the numbers 1 and 0, as they look quite similar.
What Your Chevy VIN Decoder Will Help You Find Out?
It is important for you to understand the meaning of each element before you try to decode your vehicle’s identity. Every VIN is composed of the following 6 parts:
- Make/Model [digits 1-3]: This breaks the information into three sections such as digit 1 tells you about the origin where the vehicle was built. Digit 2 represents the manufacturer’s code, whereas, number 3 shows the model type.
- Vehicle Features [digits 4-8]: This identifies the various features of a specific model. Digit 4 tells us about weight and horsepower; number 5 describes the vehicle’s platform, i.e., pickup truck, van, trailer, etc. This digit can also explain if the car is a 4×4 or 2wd. For Chevy, 2wd equals a C, and 4×4 equals a K. Then, figure 6 describes the model type more individually, i.e., Expedition, Trailblazer, Durango, etc. The body type, i.e., two doors, four doors, hatchback, convertible, etc. is discussed in digit 7 and, the engine information is described in figure 8.
- Verifying [digit 9]: It is determined by a complicated mathematical formula that relates to the other numbers in the VIN and is used to confirm that the VIN itself is not fake.
- Model Year [digit 10]: This one represents the vehicle’s model year. It is not to be confused with the year it was sold or delivered.
- Assembly Plant [digit 11]: This number informs merely what plant the vehicle was assembled at.
- The sequence of Model Production [digits 12-17]: These figures indicate the order in which the vehicle left the assembly line. In simple words, there may be many vehicles produced in a single year, by a single manufacturer, which share the same eleven digits of a VIN, but none will share those first eleven and the last six. This is effectively the serial number.
Now that you are prepared following is a list of Free Chevy VIN Decoder Tools created for you. Each of the following tools will provide you with a report which will contain the details required by you for understanding your vehicle’s identification.
Best Free Chevy Decoder Tools
From the above report, you will be able to view the year, make, model, style and country of assembly for your VIN. Besides, you will also know how many vehicle history records there are for this vehicle.
Here’s another exciting information about decoding your VINs. It may be optically read with bar code scanners or digital cameras, or digitally read via OBD-II (Onboard Diagnostics) which gives the vehicle owner or repair technician access to the status of the various vehicle subsystems in newer vehicles. There are also smartphone applications that can pass the VIN to websites to decode the VIN.
If you love your car, then go and try these amazing free tools for Chevy VIN decoder! Who knows what you may find out?