To start building the Ethereum Mining Rig, we need to first begin with knowing what Ethereum is. Blockchain is similar to the bank keeping up with the history of transactions. Ethereum is the open-source Blockchain behind Ether (ETH or Ξ), a cryptocurrency on the second number after Bitcoin in the market.
Now that we have enough understanding about Ethereum let’s move on to Ethereum Mining.
There is a system of custom computers, known as Miners. These miners play an essential role in securing the Ethereum network by checking that all the network rules are being followed whenever you show your transaction on the network. This system makes sure that the sender has at least the minimum number of Ether coins for a successful transaction, and the expenditure of the coins takes place once, and no one tricks the networking system.
Miners add these transactions to the network in the form of blocks by grouping them. Here Blockchain is known as the string of such blocks. Come to think of this, if one can do Ethereum Mining on any gaming laptop, then what is the need for an Ethereum Mining Rig?
- 1 Need of an Ethereum Mining Rig
- 2 Getting started with the Building of an Ethereum Mining Rig
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Need of an Ethereum Mining Rig
To compare the rise of the need to build an Ethereum Mining Rig, let’s take the example of another situation. Almost everyone today has a functional regular Desktop or Laptop then; why do you need a gaming computer? Yes, you have your answer there. We need those specific systems for gaming because it has better performance, increases the efficiency and other such advantages over a standard computer system.
Similarly, an Ethereum Mining Rig is a unit mainly built for Ethereum mining.
Even though Ethereum comes as the best cryptocurrency to mine with CPU, it is still better to use a specific machine for its purpose.
Getting started with the Building of an Ethereum Mining Rig
Firstly, to start building anything, we must know the essential building components and gather them. So firstly, let’s make you all familiar with the requirements that need to be fulfilled for building an Ethereum mining machine.
We will need Ethereum Mining Hardware, Software, and building materials for the rig.
There are several Graphics Processing Units (GPU), from which you can use one to build your Ethereum mining rig. Mentioned below are a few such Ethereum miner hardware that is preferred over others:
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
- AMD Radeon RX 580
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
- AMD Radeon RX Vega 56
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
The software is specifically used to link the Ethereum mining rig to the network. While using this for building the machine, you need to be careful of the malware associated with the mining software. Some of the software are:
- T-Rex Miner
The essential tools and components that you need to have before you start building a mining rig are listed below:
- Computer Monitor
- Cooling Fans
- Angular Aluminium – of measurements (5×24”, 8×14”)
- Blocks of Wood – of measures (3 x 1” x 1”)
- Power Supplying Device
- Cables – Powered and Ethernet
- Power Increasers
- Blank USB
- Power Switch
- Motherboard – Some of the best motherboards for mining are:
a. ASUS B250 Mining Expert
b. ASUS Prime Z390-P LGA1151
c. MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
Building the Ethereum Mining Rig Frame
- Screw the aluminum angled at 14” together to make two squares with the help of a drill and screws.
- Connect the squares using longer aluminum to form the shape of a cuboid using a drill and screws.
- Attach the last aluminum length 3-4” inches away from the edge of the frame as it will use it to hold the GPUs in place.
- Attach wood blocks at the bottom so that your motherboard sits nicely in place inside the mining rig frame.
Adding the Computer Components
- Add the motherboard to the frame that you have already built.
- Now place the CPU in its preferred place on the motherboard and fix it with the already present.
- Then you need to connect the cooling fan to the CPU.
- Next in line is setting the RAM stick to the motherboard.
Connect the Power Supplying Unit
- Use the cables to connect the power supplying unit to the motherboard.
- To link the GPUs to the motherboard, we need the power increasers.
- Again use cables to attach power increaser to power supplying unit.
- Then plug in the chips on the USB cable of the power increasers to the motherboard.
Placing the GPUs in the Mining Rig
- Connect each power increaser to each GPU.
- Use powered cables to link the power supplying unit to GPU.
- The distance between the GPUs needs to be at least 6” apart.
Connecting the Power Switch to the CPU
This is a simple step to connect the power switch to the CPU.
Add Ethereum Mining Rig Software
- Download the software needed for mining.
- Get the software in the blank USB.
- Attach the USB to the USB socket in the motherboard.
Connect to Monitor
- Link the monitor and the motherboard to each other with the help of the ethernet cable.
Now all you have to do is switch on the power supplying unit, and if everything goes well, the fans will start, and the monitor will light up. You can get started with mining Ethereum now using this Ethereum Mining Rig.
- Is Ethereum mining profitable?
As long as you have a GPU with a decent hash rate and don’t have an expensive electricity rate, it will earn you profit.
- Cost to build the Ethereum mining rig?
With five to six GPUs, it can cost around $5000, but it can earn about 0.350 ETH per month.
Now that you have successfully built an Ethereum Mining Rig, you can close the frame and decorate it according to your wish. You can use customized aluminum angles to make the frame look good. While connecting parts to the motherboard, remember to use its manual and read the instructions. Hoping these steps help you out, we’ll conclude here.