A good RAM (Random Access Memory) frequency is a sure telltale sign that you have received your money’s worth when purchasing an electronic device. To loosely define a RAM frequency, your device can handle the total number of commands per second. The RAM speed of a computer depends on various factors but is generally defined based on RAM frequency. To sum it all up, a higher RAM frequency equals a better RAM speed, resulting in a better performance of your device. So here we have compiled a detailed guide on how to check RAM frequency.
Also, read our article on Best Ram Cleaners for your System. Click here!
So ever questioned, “how do I know the frequency of my ram?” RAM frequencies are measured in terms of MHz and can drastically affect the performance of your computer. If you’ve ever experienced lag or have noticed your device’s slower performance, it is because of a lesser RAM.
Now coming to check ram MHz, there are several simple yet effective ways for a Windows, Mac, or Linux machine. The methods listed here apply to different devices and are grouped accordingly. That being said, here are the top 7 ways how to check RAM frequency. If you want to know more about the level 3 background checks, click here.
Table of Contents
How Many MHz Is My RAM On Windows?
If you are a Windows device user, here are some ways to check RAM frequency in windows 10 or a preceding operating system.
By Using The Taskbar
- Start off by right-clicking on a space on the taskbar. Upon doing so, a list of options will come up. From these options open task manager.
- After selecting ‘Task Manager,’ a window will come up. You can find an option labeled ‘more details in the bottom right corner of this window.
- Click on ‘more details’ to open up another window. On the top, you will find a tab labeled ‘performance.’ Select this to find a variety of options on the left.
- From these options, select ‘Memory.’
- After selecting ‘Memory,’ you will get all of the data concerning your device’s RAM. On the bottom right, you’ll obtain the RAM frequency.
See also: How to Optimize Windows 10 For Gaming
By Using The Command Prompt
To know about how to check ram frequency using cmd read the steps mentioned below.
- Begin by clicking on the start menu.
- In the search bar, search for ‘Command Prompt.’
- Right-click on the ‘Command Prompt‘ and select Run as Administrator from the available list of options that come up.
- In case you receive a user account control prompt, click on ‘yes.’ then, the command prompt terminal will show up.
- Type “wmic memory chip get speed” onto the Terminal and press, ‘ENTER.’
- Your RAM speed will get displayed on the Terminal.
See Also: How To Remove MPC Cleaner From Windows [4 Ways]
By downloading CPU-Z
CPU-Z is free software that you can download to find your device’s hardware information systematically presented to you.
- Start by opening up a browser and then search for CPU-Z in the search bar.
- Select the first link, which will most likely be the website ‘www.cpuid.com.’
- Scroll down and from the ‘Classic Versions,’ select the ‘set up file.’ If you wish to use this software only once or twice, then click on the ‘Zip file.’
- Next, click on the ‘download now’ option.
- Open the application by clicking on it.
- Accept the license agreement, after which you can decide the location of the software on your device.
- Keep clicking on the ‘next’ button until you see the ‘install’ option.
- Click on the ‘install’ option, and the software will install.
- After the installation is complete, click on ‘finish.’
- Finally, the application will open with tabs on the top. Over here, you can find all the hardware information about your software. To find the RAM frequency, click on the ‘Memory’ tab on the top, displayed below will be the RAM frequency.
Depending on the number of RAM slots that you have, which generally varies from 2-to 4, you will find the RAM frequency for each. Furthermore, the RAM frequency varies based on the generation of your windows device.
See Also: Best Free Online CPU Stress Test Software
What Is My RAM Frequency On A Linux?
If you use a Linux machine, then the following are some methods on how to check RAM frequency-
By Using The Command Code
- Start by opening the Terminal application on your device.
- On the Terminal, enter the following code – ‘sudo dmidecode –type 17’ and press ‘ENTER.’
- You will find all of the hardware information about your device, including the RAM frequency.
See also: Best RAM Cleaner for PC | Top 10 Reviewed
By Using The HardInfo Application
- Begin by opening the Software Manager.
- In the search bar, search for ‘HardInfo,’ software designed to give you hardware information of your device effectively.
- Click on ‘install,’ and after the installation process is complete, click on ‘launch’ to launch the application. This will open up the application.
- On the left-hand side, you will find a wide array of options. Selecting an option will provide detailed information on the same on the right-hand side.
- Click on ‘Processor’ from the options given on the left-hand side.
- On the right-hand side, you will find information on the RAM frequency of your device.
Watch this video for more info on how to check RAM frequency! Click here!
How Many MHz Is My RAM On A Mac?
Finally, if you are on a Mac and are wondering ‘What is my RAM frequency?”, then the following are some methods to check it-
Check RAM Frequency By Checking The Overview
- Find and choose the apple logo that can be found on the top left of your screen.
- From the list of options, select ‘About this Mac’
- This will open up another tab, from the top, click on ‘overview.’
- Under this option, you can find general information about the device along with the RAM frequency.
See Also: 7 Best Free And Paid iPhone Cleaner Apps
Check RAM Frequency By Checking The Settings
- Go to the search option and look up ‘Applications.’
- From here, select the ‘utilities’ folder.
- Now select the Systems Information Folder, and choose the Hardware option.
- Select ‘Memory.’ You will find the RAM frequency for all RAM slots listed below.
Conclusion (How To Check RAM Frequency)
Now that you know how to check RAM frequency, you can effectively compare different devices and upgrade your RAM. Though the RAM speed is generally measured in terms of its frequency, it is more accurate to say that the speed depends on various other factors. Some are latency, dual data rate(DDR), bandwidth, etc. so do consider these determinants before making your next purchase.
See also: 7 Best Android Optimizing Apps | Best Android Optimizer