A good RAM (Random Access Memory) frequency is a sure telltale sign that you have received your money’s worth when purchasing an electronic device. To loosely define a RAM frequency, your device can handle the total number of commands per second. The RAM speed of a computer depends on various factors but is generally defined based on RAM frequency. To sum it all up, a higher RAM frequency equals a better RAM speed, resulting in a better performance of your device. So here we have compiled a detailed guide on how to check RAM frequency. You might want to check this article based on Best RAM Cleaner For PC if you are on any other website.
How to Check Windows RAM Frequency
- Open Task Manager, then select the Performance tab. You can find numerous entries on the list on the left, including CPU, Memory, Disc 0, Wi-Fi, GPU, and so forth.
- The Speed entry will then be shown in the Memory window on the Task Manager screen’s right side.
Also, please read our article on Best Ram Cleaners for your System. Click here!
So ever questioned, “How do I know the frequency of my ram?” RAM frequencies are measured in terms of MHz and can drastically affect the performance of your computer. If you’ve ever experienced lag or have noticed your device’s slower performance, it is because of a lesser RAM. That being said, here are the top 7 ways to check RAM frequency. If you want to know more about the level 3 bac from checks, click here.
Table of Contents
How Many MHz Is My RAM On Windows?
If you are a Windows device user, here are some ways to check RAM frequency in Windows 10 or a preceding operating system.
By Using The Taskbar
- Start by right-clicking on a space on the taskbar. Upon doing so, a list of options will come up. From these options, open task manager, select ‘Task Manager,’ and a window will appear. You can find an option labeled ‘more details’ in this window’s bottom right corner.
- Click on ‘more details‘ to open up another window. On the top, you will find a tab labeled ‘performance.’ Select this to find a variety of options on the left.
- From these options, select ‘Memory.’
- After selecting ‘Memory,’ you will get all the data concerning your device’s RAM. On the bottom right, you’ll obtain the RAM frequency.
See also: How to Optimize Windows 10 For Gaming
By Using The Command Prompt
To check ram frequency using cmd, read the steps below.
- Begin by clicking on the start menu.
- In the search bar, search for ‘Command Prompt.’
- Right-click on the ‘Command Prompt‘ and select Run as Administrator from the available list of options.
- If you receive a user account control prompt, click ‘yes.’ then, the command prompt terminal will appear.
- Type “wmic memory chip get speed” onto the Terminal and press, ‘ENTER.’
- Your RAM speed will get displayed on the Terminal.
By downloading CPU-Z
CPU-Z is free software that you can download to find your device’s hardware information systematically presented to you.
- Start by opening a browser and then search for CPU-Z in the search bar.
- Select the first link, which will most likely be the website ‘www.cpuid.com.’
- Scroll down, and select the ‘Set up file from the Classic Versions.’ If you wish to use this software only once or twice, click on the ‘Zip file.’
- Next, click on the ‘download now‘ option.
- Open the application by clicking on it.
- Accept the license agreement, after which you can decide the location of the software on your device.
- Click the ‘next‘ button until you see the ‘install’ option.
- Click on the ‘install‘ option, and the software will install.
- After the installation is complete, click on ‘finish.’
- Finally, the application will open with tabs on the top. Over here, you can find all the hardware information about your software. To find the RAM frequency, click on the ‘Memory’ tab on the top; displayed below will be the RAM frequency.
Depending on the number of RAM slots you have, which generally varies from 2 to 4, you will find the RAM frequency for each. Furthermore, the RAM frequency varies based on the generation of your Windows device.
What Is My RAM Frequency On A Linux?
If you use a Linux machine, then the following are some methods for how to check RAM frequency-
By Using The Command Code
- Start by opening the Terminal application on your device.
- On the Terminal, enter the following code – ‘sudo dmidecode –type 17’ and press ‘ENTER.’
- You will find all of the hardware information about your device, including the RAM frequency.
By Using The HardInfo Application
- Begin by opening the Software Manager.
- In the search bar, search for ‘HardInfo,’ software designed to give you your device’s hardware information effectively.
- Click on ‘install,’ after the installation process is complete, click on ‘launch‘ to launch the application. This will open up the application.
- On the left-hand side, you will find a wide array of options. Selecting an option will provide detailed information on the right-hand side.
- Click on ‘Processor‘ from the options given on the left-hand side.
- On the right-hand side, you will find information on the RAM frequency of your device.
Watch this video for more info on how to check RAM frequency! Click here!
How Many MHz Is My RAM On A Mac?
Finally, if you are on a Mac and are wondering ‘What is my RAM frequency?” then the following are some methods to check it-
Check RAM Frequency By Checking The Overview
- Find and choose the Apple logo that can be found on the top left of your screen.
- From the list of options, select ‘About this Mac.’
- This will open another tab; click ‘Overview‘ from the top.
- Under this option, you can find general information about the device and the RAM frequency.
See Also: 7 Best Free And Paid iPhone Cleaner Apps
Check RAM Frequency By Checking The Settings
- Go to the search option and look up ‘Applications.’
- From here, select the ‘utilities‘ folder.
- Now select the Systems Information Folder, and choose the Hardware option.
- Select ‘Memory.’ You will find the RAM frequency for all RAM slots listed below.
Is it possible to check the RAM frequency without restarting my computer?
No, to obtain accurate information about the RAM frequency, you must access the BIOS or use software tools that require a system restart for accurate readings.
Can I check the RAM frequency on a Mac?
Yes, you can check the RAM frequency on a Mac. Go to the Apple menu, select About This Mac, and click the System Report button. In the hardware overview, look for Memory or RAM to find the information about the RAM frequency.
What does RAM frequency affect?
RAM frequency affects the speed at which data can be read from or written to the RAM. A higher RAM frequency generally results in better performance and faster data access for memory-intensive tasks.
Is it necessary to know the RAM frequency for upgrading RAM?
Knowing the RAM frequency is optional for upgrading RAM modules. The critical factors to consider when upgrading RAM are the type (DDR3, DDR4, etc.), capacity, and compatibility with your computer's motherboard.
Can I overclock my RAM to increase its frequency?
Yes, it is possible to overclock RAM to increase its frequency. However, this process carries certain risks and requires knowledge and expertise in computer hardware. Overclocking should be done cautiously, as it can cause stability issues or damage the RAM modules.
What should I do if I cannot determine the RAM frequency?
Suppose you cannot determine the RAM frequency through BIOS settings or software tools. In that case, you can consult your computer's manufacturer or refer to the documentation that came with your computer or RAM modules for accurate information.
Now that you know how to check RAM frequency, you can effectively compare different devices and upgrade your RAM. Though the RAM speed is generally measured in terms of its frequency, it is more accurate to say that the speed depends on various other factors. Some are latency, dual data rate(DDR), bandwidth, etc., so consider these determinants before making your next purchase. You can also Check out the Best RAM Cleaner For PC.