Today we will be discussing how to allow windows servers multiple RDP sessions or Remote Desktop Services options. But before we start our today’s article on how to allow Multiple TS Sessions, let us give you a brief about the Terminal Service and its uses.
Remote Desktop Services earlier known as Terminal Services is the component of Windows that allows more than 2 RDP sessions. It is responsible for executing a thin-client terminal server through any Windows application to make the PC accessible to any remote client machine. The client machine can itself run the OS as long as the TS protocol is supported. It can also just be a carrier machine that can support the protocol.
Usually, windows allow you a single RDP session, and this is by default. But, sometimes when you are in one session and tend to take over others’ live sessions. Then you may switch to enable multiple RDP sessions. Subsequently, you must follow the steps mentioned below.
Table of Contents
Multiple TS Sessions By Enabling Multiple RDP Sessions
No need to worry about your multiple TS session errors because we have got some super easy methods for you to try out. Using these methods, you can conveniently enable multiple Terminal services on your device!
Remote Desktop Protocol usually prevents the end-users to connect to multiple desktop connections and limits the use to only one local device. To enable multiple RDP sessions, try out the simple methods given below.
Modifying Computer Configuration
- Firstly to get Multiple TS Sessions, you need to log in to the server using the Remote Desktop and for doing this, simply press the Windows key. The start screen will appear, type “gpedit.msc” in the search box. Solve the windows update error if any.
- Go to the Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Connections.
- Disable the “Restrict Remote Desktop Services user to a single Remote Desktop Services Session” for the device to allow multiple terminal server sessions.
- Finally, double click on the ‘Limit number of connections and enter the value 999999, to set as well as allow the Maximum Connection for multiple TS sessions.
See Also: 4 Ways to Rename Multiple Files in Windows
Modify the termsvrl.dll
The above-mentioned termsvrl.dll is the library file of Remote Desktop Services or RDS. This file does not allow you to have multiple TS sessions or more than one RDP connection. As a result, only a single user is able to use the local machine at a time. If any other connection is made, the previous connection made will be forced to shut down.
In such a situation, all we need to do is modify this library file to fix this problem and get multiple remote desktop connections.
Let us make it easy for you to know what is multiple ts sessions,
- Firstly, open the Command Line Prompt. Paste the given command,
This command maintains a backup for your file.
- Next, take ownership of this file and give access rights to the administrator’s group.
- To do so, you need to choose the library file by right-clicking and then choose the properties.
- Opt for the Security tab, and then click on edit.
- Now, paste this command on the screen.
Net stop TermService
This step will end your Terminal Service.
- Now you need to access the same library file mentioned using any editor that is convenient for you.
- Simply search code:
- Now replace it using this code:
Note that while inserting the codes, some systems may show an error. At such times, just rewrite the code using spaces after every 2 digits.
- Lastly, try to access another RDP session and run the Terminal Service connection. You must save the library file too to get Multiple TS Sessions.
Accessing the Remote Desktop Protocol Wrapper Library Project
Are you getting confused with all the complex steps?
Don’t worry, here is an easy-to-implement method through which you can modify your library file!
- Download the latest version v1.6 of the RDP wrapper library project. This will have no specific effect on your library file. However, it will modify the argument values of termsrv.
- For installation of the wrapper library, run the install.bat using administrator rights.
- Next, run the RDPConfig.exe.
- The block under the diagnostics should completely change to green color.
- Open another Remote Desktop Protocol Session.
- You will be able to run multiple Terminal Service connections!
This method does not involve multiple steps and is reliable for connection issues. RDP Wrapper library is an efficient connective layer that helps you to conveniently achieve Multiple TS Sessions.
See Also: Best Windows 10 Password Reset Tools to Download – TechWhoop
FAQs (Multiple TS Sessions)
Would it be possible for me to carry out multiple sessions on Windows?
Yes, it is very much plausible. One of the best and also the most feasible way to carry this out is to utilize the remote option for the desktop computer. You may also do this by utilizing the Wrapper Library from RDP. This is a very good option because this RDP function allows more than one user to run sessions at the same time on windows. This is of course assuming that the users use the same termsrv.dll file or else this is not possible.
Is it possible for someone to carry out more than one session on TeamViewer?
Sadly, this isn’t possible on this platform. The reason lies in the fact that on TeamViewer it is not possible for two people to be logged in from the same device. However, there exists a catch in this as well. Even though you cannot log in without another person at once you may however make two different connections on TeamViewer to the same computer on the same screen at the same time. However, this is not the same as a make-believe connection to a virtual screen. Those services are only provided by remote desktop connections and Terminal viewer on windows.
How can I start to use more than one session on Windows?
There is a pretty simple method that you can follow to do it on windows. Firstly, you will have to gain entry into the server by logging in. This is where the remote services for the desktop windows are located. Once you are in the server, you will now have to access the start option. You can easily do this by just clicking on the Windows key and then once you have opened it, you will enter gpedit on the entry bar. Once you have opened it, you will now need to visit the configuration site on your device and then follow its road onto the template for administration. Then, from there you will find the component for windows and inside that, the remote services for desktop are located. Once you have found that, you can now visit the host for the session on the RDS and follow it up, and then go to connections to get Multiple TS Sessions. From there you can easily carry on multiple sessions at the same time.
What should I do to license my 2016 version of RDS?
A fairly easy method exists that you can utilize to get the license and its server. First of all, you will have to open the Licensing manager for the RDS. Once the user has done that, the person must now need to press the option to start and then follow the path to the administrative tool. Once, you are there, you will now be required to look up the RDS and then follow its path again to the manager which has the license to use the RDS. Now, once you have found the manager which also contains the license for the server, the person has to select the option of the server with the license and then again press it to access the said server. Once the person has done it, he will simply need to follow it and select next which is on the screen to enter the page that welcomes the person and also confirms that the server is now activated.
Conclusion (Multiple TS Sessions)
Hope this method helps you to activate your Multiple TS Sessions on your Windows PC. Refer to our step-by-step solutions to some similar protocol errors. Let us know in the comments if you have any issues!