Password Decoder Tools are an application program used to identify unknown/ forgotten passwords to a computer or a network of resources. It can also help in providing unauthorized access to resources. The Techopedia defines a Password Decoder as ” The measures used to find some computer passwords. It is done by recovering passwords from stored data / transported from a computer system.”
In recent years, programmers have developed many password decoder tools. As usual, each of them has its advantages as well as disadvantages. We will be covering some of the most popular password decoder tools.
- 1 Best Password Decoder Tools
- 1.1 Ophcrack
- 1.2 RainbowCrack (Password Decoder Tool)
- 1.3 Hash Cat (Password Decoder Tool)
- 1.4 Cain and Abel
- 1.5 Wfuzz password cracker (Password Decoder Tool)
- 1.6 Brutus Password Cracking (Password Decoder Tool)
- 1.7 John The Ripper
- 1.8 THC Hydra (Password Decoder Tool)
- 1.9 Medusa
- 2 Conclusion (Password Decoder Tools)
Best Password Decoder Tools
Here is the list of best password decoder tools.
It is a free password cracker tool based on rainbow tables. It comes with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and is operational on different platforms.
This version can pre-load tables using the complete RAM instead of 2 GB on 32-bit platforms. Some of the main features of this password decoder tool are:
- Real-time graphs to analyze passwords.
- Live CD demos are available to make cracking easy.
- Free and open-source software.
- Audit mode and “Comma Separated Values” (CSV).
- Uses a brute force module for easier passwords.
- Free tables available for Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1
RainbowCrack (Password Decoder Tool)
This tool is a general-purpose implementation tool of Philippe Oechslin’s faster time-memory trade-off technique. It cracks all rainbow tables. Once the match is found, the plain text is also observed. This method avoids all intermediate computational results. Some of the features of this password decoder tool are:
- Command-line user interface.
- Graphical user interface.
- Functions on Windows OS.
- Available for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 – 32/64 bit.
- Supports any algorithm.
- Works on any character set.
- Has additional features such as trade-off tool suites, rainbow table generation, sort, lookup, etc.
Hash Cat (Password Decoder Tool)
It is one of the fastest CPU recovery tools. Elaborate lists are divided into parts with a good dictionary and knowledge of switches.
It makes multiple uses of modern CPU’S. Some main features are:
- One of the fastest password decoder tools.
- Available Free of cost.
- Targets highly modern iteration hashes.
- Low resource utilization.
- Deals with dictionary-based threats and attacks.
- Supports distributed hacking.
- Handles large sessions.
- Integrated thermal watchdog.
- 150+ advanced algorithms performance built-in devices.
- Advanced benchmarking capabilities and systems.
Visit: Hash Cat
Cain and Abel
A password recovery tool for Microsoft Operating System. Some of the main features are:
- Allows easy recovery of different passwords by network detection.
- Cracking encrypted passwords. (using dictionary)
- Brute force and sudden cryptic analysis attacks.
- VoIP conversions.
- Decoding scrambled passwords.
- Recovery of wireless network keys.
- The revelation of various password boxes.
- Uncovering cache passwords.
- Analyzing router protocols and security issues.
- Authentication methods.
- Recovery of password credentials from different sources.
- It also has some “nonstandard utilities” for MS-Windows
Visit: Cain and Abel
Wfuzz password cracker (Password Decoder Tool)
It is software that caters to brute force Web applications and is also helpful in finding resources that are not linked.
Some cool features include:
- Multiple injection points with multiple capabilities.
- Colored output.
- SOCK (Socket Secure Internet Protocol) support.
- Time delay interval between requests.
- Brute force HTTP.
- Baseline requests.
- Payload combinations with iterations.
- Multiple encoders per payload.
- Dictionaries are tailored only for known applications such as Web logic, I planet, and Tomcat.
Visit: Wfuzz password cracker
Brutus Password Cracking (Password Decoder Tool)
Brutus password cracking is one of the fastest and most flexible online password decoder tools. The tool is free and is exclusively available for Windows systems. This was launched in October 2000. Brutus version AET2 is the recent one and has the following authentication modes:
- HTTP (Basic, HTML form CGI)
- POP3 – used for receiving e-mails
- Telnet (Terminal Network)
- SMB (Server Message Block)
- Some other types are IMAP, Net Bus, NNTP Protocols
Features (Brutus Password Decoder Tool)
- Load and resume position.
- Highly customizable authentication sequences.
- Multi-stage authentication engine.
- High error handling functionalities and quick recovery capabilities in resume after failure/crash.
- 60 simultaneous target connections.
Visit: Brutus Password Cracking
John The Ripper
John the Ripper is also one of the Open Source Password Decoder Tools, distributed primarily in source code form. If you would instead try a commercial product tailored for your particular operating system, please examine or look into John the Ripper Pro, which is focused on distributing primarily in the “native” type packages for the target operating systems and usually is meant to be easier to install and use while delivering optimal performance.
It is one of the fastest open-source password decoder tools. ( Windows, Linux, DOS, etc.). It can also detect weak UNIX passwords.
Visit: John the Ripper
THC Hydra (Password Decoder Tool)
THC Hydra is one of the fastest network connectivity Password Decoder Tools that supports many devices. When suddenly using brute force to crack an authentication device, this is the most preferred tool.
Moreover, It is helpful in dictionary attacks supporting more than 30 protocols, including Telnet, HTTP, HTTPS, SMB, and other databases.
Visit: THC Hydra
Of all the other Password Decoder Tools, this one is a relatively speedy, parallel, modular, login brute forcer. Medusa supports many services with as much authentication as needed. Some of the key features are:
- Thread-based parallel testing, You can use brute force against multiple hosts, users, and passwords concurrently.
- You can deliver target information in a variety of ways. Ex- each file entry can be single or have multiple entries.
- Modular design and each file can exist as an independent .mod file.
- Supports many services with multiple protocols. Ex- POP3, HTTP, MS-SQL, SSHv2 etc.
Conclusion (Password Decoder Tools)
Password Decoder Tools are some of the most popular tools that hackers use to crack password hashes, different codes of web applications, and, finally, various operating systems.
Password hacking is resorted to either by law enforcement agencies or other organizations rendering various IT services, mostly in extreme cases where information security is breached or compromised, referred to as “Ethical Hacking” cases.
On the other hand, there are also individuals or groups working to achieve some unlawful objectives or with nefarious activities for personal or monetary gains.
Technology in such hands can do enormous damage. However, like activities with evil motives increase, technology keeps pace to undo such ill effects – as a reactive measure and to act as a deterrent in the future. This is a vicious cycle as one follows the other. It is for the ‘US’ to use technology to benefit all responsibly!!!
See Also: Top 7 Credit Card Reader For Android | 2022