Password Decoder Tools are an application program used to identify unknown/ forgotten passwords to a computer or a network of resources. It can also help in providing unauthorized access to resources. The Techopedia defines Password Decoder as ” The measures used to find some computer passwords. It is done by recovering passwords from stored data / transported from a computer system.”
In the recent years, programmers have developed many passwords decoder tools. As usual, each of them has their advantages as well as disadvantages. We will be covering some of the most popular password decoder tools.
Best Password Decoder Tools
Here is the list of best password decoder tools.
It is a free password cracker tool based on rainbow tables. It comes with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and is operational on different platforms.
This version can pre-load tables using the complete RAM instead of 2 GB on 32-bit platforms. Some of the main features are:
- Real-time graphs to analyze passwords.
- Live CD demos available to make cracking easy.
- Free and open source software.
- Audit mode and “Comma Separated Values” (CSV).
- Uses brute force module for easier passwords.
- Free tables available for Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1
This tool is a general purpose implementation tool of Philippe Oechslin’s faster time-memory trade-off technique. It cracks all rainbow tables. Once the match is found the plain text is also observed. This method avoids all intermediate computational results. Some of the features are:
- Command line user interface.
- Graphical user interface.
- Functions on windows OS.
- Available for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 – 32/64 bit.
- Supports any algorithm.
- Works on any character set.
- Has additional features such as trade off tool suites, rainbow table generation, sort, lookup, etc.
It is one of the fastest CPU recovery tools. Elaborate lists are divided into parts with a good dictionary and knowledge on switches.
It makes multiple uses of modern CPU’S. Some main features are:
- One of the fastest password decoder tools.
- Available Free of cost.
- Targets highly modern iteration hashes.
- Low resource utilization.
- Deals with dictionary-based threats and attacks.
- Supports distributed hacking.
- Handles large sessions.
- Integrated thermal watchdog.
- 150+ advanced algorithms performance built-in devices.
- Advanced bench marking capabilities and systems.
Visit:- Hash Cat
Cain and Abel
A password recovery tool for Microsoft Operating System. Some of the main features are:
- Allows easy recovery of different passwords by network detection.
- Cracking encrypted passwords. (using dictionary)
- Brute force and sudden cryptic analysis attacks.
- VoIP conversions.
- Decoding scrambled passwords.
- Recovery of wireless network keys.
- Revelation of various password boxes.
- Uncovering cache passwords.
- Analyzing router protocols and security issues.
- Authentication methods.
- Recovery of password credentials from different sources.
- Also has some “nonstandard utilities” for MS-Windows
Visit:- Cain and Abel
Wfuzz password cracker
It is a software that caters to brute force Web applications and also helpful in finding resources that are not linked.
Some cool Features include:
- Multiple injection points with multiple capabilities.
- Colored output.
- Multi threading.
- SOCK (Socket Secure Internet Protocol) support.
- Time delay interval between requests.
- Brute force HTTP.
- Baseline requests.
- Payload combinations with iterations.
- Multiple encoders per payload.
- Dictionaries tailored only for known applications such as Web logic, I planet, Tomcat.
Visit:- Wfuzz password cracker
Brutus password Cracking
Brutus password cracking is one of the fastest and flexible online cracking tools. The tool is free and is exclusively available for Windows systems. This was launched in October 2000. Brutus version AET2 is the recent one and has the following authentication modes:
- HTTP (Basic, HTML form CGI)
- POP3 – used for receiving e-mails
- Telnet (Terminal Network)
- SMB (Server Message Block)
- Some other types are IMAP, Net Bus, NNTP Protocols
- Load and resume position.
- Highly customizable authentication sequences.
- Multi-stage authentication engine.
- High error handling functionalities and quick recovery capabilities in resume after failure/crash.
- 60 simultaneous target connections.
Visit:- Brutus password Cracking
John the Ripper
John the Ripper is also one of the Open Source Password Decoder Tools, distributed primarily in source code form. If you would instead try a commercial product tailored for your particular operating system, please examine or look into John the Ripper Pro, which is focused on distributing primarily in the “native” type packages for the target operating systems and usually is meant to be easier to install and use while delivering optimal performance.
It one of the fastest open-source password decoder tools. ( Windows, Linux, DOS, etc.). It can also detect weak UNIX passwords.
Visit:- John the Ripper
THC Hydra is one of the fastest network connectivity Password Decoder Tools that supports many devices. When suddenly using brute force to crack an authentication device, this is the most preferred tool.
It is helpful in dictionary attacks supporting more than 30 protocols, including Telnet, HTTP, https, SMB and other databases.
Visit:- THC Hydra
Of all the other Password Decoder Tools, this one is relatively speedy, parallel, modular, login brute forcer. Medusa supports many services with as much authentication as needed. Some of the key features are:
- Thread-based parallel testing, brute force can be used against multiple hosts, users, passwords concurrently.
- Target information can be delivered in a variety of ways. Ex- each file entries can be single or have multiple entries.
- Modular design and each file can exist as an independent .mod file.
- Supports many services with multiple protocols. Ex- POP3, HTTP, MS-SQL, SSHv2 etc.
Password Decoder Tools are some of the most popular tools that hackers use for cracking password hashes, different codes of web applications, and finally various types of operating systems.
Password hacking is resorted to either by law enforcing agencies or other organizations rendering various IT services, mostly in extreme cases where information security is breached or compromised which are referred as “Ethical Hacking” cases.
On the other hand, there are also a set of individuals or groups working to achieve some unlawful objectives or with some nefarious activities for personal or monetary gains.
Technology in such hands can do enormous damage. However, like activities with evil motives increase, technology keeps pace to undo such ill effects – as a reactive measure and to act as a deterrent in future. This is a vicious cycle as one follows the other. It is for ‘US’ to use technology to benefit all responsibly!!!