Often we need to record our PC or laptop screen ̶ for example while making a tutorial video for fixing a problem, for uploading gaming videos, and so on. Nowadays Windows 10 comes with the inbuilt Xbox app with which you can record your screen while you’re using an app. Apart from this, there are other software which can help you to record screen on Windows 10. While some are paid, while of them are free.
11 Best Methods to Record Screen on Windows 10
Here are the top 11 ways regarding how to record screen on Windows 10:
Free Online Screen Recorder
Using Free Online Screen Recorder, you can not only screenshot but also use a screen recorder with audio.
Some of the best features of this tool are:
- You can capture video with system sound or add your voice comments with mic.
- Directly send your screen image file’s URL to colleagues so they can view it from any device in one click.
- Use this online screen recorder to quickly explain all that you need to everyone. Simply download the tool and install it. Adjust the capture settings-you can add customized effects.
- Your video will automatically be stored as an MKV file. But you can also choose to save your files as MP4, AVI, or MOV.
- This tool is entirely free and also offers extensions for Firefox and Chrome.
As mentioned before, Xbox is an inbuilt app that you get with your Windows 10. Thus, you don’t need to download or install any software separately. The Xbox DVR tool is primarily for gaming videos, but of course, you can Record Screen on Windows 10 using this tool for any purpose.
How to record screen using Xbox DVR?
- Open the app that you wish to record. However, the tool is unable to capture some programs, such as File Manager, or the whole desktop, but it mostly works on just about all other apps.
- Press Windows key + G together to launch the Game Bar.
- Check the checkbox which says “Yes, this is a game“.
- Click on the “Start Recording” button (or press Windows + Alt + R together) to begin recording video.
- To stop the recording, click on the red recording bar on the top right of the program window. (If you can’t see it, press Windows + G again for bringing the Game Bar back.)
Xbox DVR is a very simple screen recorder and does not have a complicated editor.
Icecream Screen Recorder
Icecream Screen Recorder is a straightforward software with adequate features which will be enough for you but won’t confuse you too much. It has a function of adding hotkeys which will help you Record Screen on Windows 10 pretty easily.
Some other essential features of this software are:
- You can select a particular area on the screen and record that part, if you don’t want to record the entire screen.
- The drawing panel feature allows you to add arrows, lines, and marks to your capture.
- You can find your past projects with ease using the Project History option.
- It also supports your own watermarks; therefore, you don’t have to edit and add your signature or logo every single time and thus personalize your videos easily.
- While recording, you can zoom in on and zoom out to an object.
- The ‘Around mouse‘ screen recording: feature lets you focus on your mouse and select what area around your cursor you want to record, and comes in handy often.
ActivePresenter is not only a simple tool to Record Screen on Windows 10 but also an office tool by Atomi. It comes with a massive number of features, perfect for quickly making a presentation, and so on. It has both free and paid versions. Using ActivePresenter, you can:
- Record all motions on your screen with high resolution and frame rate.
- Record webcam and system sound at the same time.
- Edit, i.e., cut, copy, or delete any part of the recorded video.
- Record voiceover narration while you’re recording or later add it in the editing phase.
- Perform audio noise reduction, audio fade in or fade out.
- Use rich annotation tools like zoom-n-pan, callouts, shapes, mouse cursor effects, closed captions, multiple resources (video, audio, YouTube video, image).
- Insert time for freezing frames.
- Change the playback speed of video/audio.
- Blur the sensitive parts of a video or make green screen effects (chroma key effect).
- Publish the video on YouTube easily in a few steps.
The paid version of this software costs 149$ and lets you export your project as not only a video, but also as Word, PDF, Excel, Flash, PowerPoint, and even an HTML5 simulation.
Snagit is a screen recording tool as well as a video editor, with free tech support and is integrated with various online services. It is a premium software costing 50$, but it has a free trial which you can check out.
It is the only program which has built-in advanced image editing and screen recording. Snagit is a smart, professional software with a lot of unique features and a support staff. If you need a screen recorder for Windows 10 with professional editing features, and you’re willing to pay for it, Snagit is a great option.
Using Snagit, you can:
- Customize and edit each and every screenshot with professional-quality markup tools.
- Trim any part of the screen recordings.
- Convert videos into animated GIFs.
From the makers of Snagit, we have Camtasia Studio, with even more features than Snagit, such as a full-blown video editor and video rendering module. It has all the features you might need. If you want to make tutorials, this is the best software for you, in all probability.
However, this high-end software comes with quite a high price- a whopping 200$. There is a trial version available, you can make use of that to figure out if you can afford it, or if it suits your needs, but the full version, with its complete set of features, will require you to pay that amount.
The makers of Snagit and Camtasia Studio have also produced Jing, which is free, unlike the other two tools mentioned previously.
This software doesn’t have any in-built editor; however, it has a few advanced tools such as mouse tracking, etc. which are generally not offered by free tools. It’s very simple Record Screen on Windows 10 and allows you to upload videos directly to screencast.com.
EZVID is a screen recording tool that does not have too many features. It has a very basic video editor – but the most significant feature is that using this tool, you can upload the videos you’ve made directly to YouTube; this feature makes it a very easy to create and upload videos of what you are seeing on your screen.
The basic video editor has speed control and other very basic features, and some additional features such as added voice synthesis, visual effects, direct file output (not just to YouTube), screen drawing, and more. The finest attribute about this software is that it’s completely free.
Rylstim Screen Recorder
Rylstim Screen Recorder is one of the simplest screen recording tools. It is free and has no editor or any other feature except screen recording. All you need to do is install it and select the code and then specify the folder where you desire to store your recordings.
There’s a portable version as well, so if you don’t want to, there’s no need for installation as well.
If you want an open source software, use Webinaria. This is a screen capturing tool though which you can Record Screen on Windows 10. It comes with all the usual features, and the most unique feature is that- using it, you can export your videos as Flash.
It includes with a basic video editor but without any sophisticated features- just enough for a straightforward recording of the screen.
Similar to Webinaria, Camstudio is also a free open source tool to Record Screen on Windows 10. It is easy to implement without any complex features. It’s perfect for you if you want a very simple, hassle-free experience of screen recording.
I hope this piece benefits you find a way to record screen on Windows 10. Use our tested methods and never worry about this issue ever again!