Have you ever felt there are a lot of advertisements on every website you visit? On each website, every click you make opens a random page on a new tab, and sometimes an army of advertisements declare war against your peace of mind. Here we will talk about how to remove DNS Unlocker adware from your system.
Creepy isn’t it?
Leaving behind the exaggerations, encountering a lot of advertisements on each website you visit may indicate the presence of Adware installed on your system.
One of them could be the famous DNS. It is a renowned Adware, distributed mainly by means of Bundling. It is a malicious application and must be removed as soon as possible from your system.
- 1 What Is DNS Unlocker?
- 2 How To Remove DNS Unlocker From Windows
- 3 Conclusion (DNS Unlocker)
What Is DNS Unlocker?
DNS adware is categorized as an Adware and a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). It advertises itself as an application to allow access to restricted websites but instead bombards your browsers with multiple third-party advertisements.
It is recommended to remove this unlocker from your system as soon as possible.
How Can A ‘Few’ Adds Be Harmful?
Indeed, a few advertisement banners never hurt anyone and are the primary source of income for most websites. However, a lot (and we focus on the word ‘lot’) of advertisements are as harmful as they are suspicious.
Some of the known harms DNS Unlocker causes are:
- Opening malicious or infected websites in the background.
- Collect personal information like your IP Address and geographical location.
- Gathering Browser History, Cookies, and Cache.
- Collecting usernames and Passwords.
- Gathering banking details like Credit Card details.
How Did My system Get Infected?
DNS adware uses a stealth tactic called ‘Bundling’ for distribution. Many users do not pay close enough attention when downloading and installing programs and applications. After all, it is a lot easier just to click “Next” several times and be done with it.
However, Cyber Criminals use this oversight to their benefit by including several other installation packages in the original application which are installed simultaneously.
This method is Bundling and a very popular method for distribution of Adware like the one created by DNS.
How To Remove DNS Unlocker From Windows
Here are the steps to remove DNS adware from Windows.
Step 1: Download And Run Rkill.exe
The first step is to close all the running processes of the target Adware to allow its removal. Rkill is the silver bullet to completely halt all the malicious processes running at the time on your computer.
It is a simple open and close application that automatically kills all the malicious tasks running in the background. Alternatively, you can open the Windows Task Manager and manually kill all the tasks named as DNS adware but the sheer number of processes and the possible presence of other malicious tasks makes it faster and more convenient to use Rkill.
Step 2: Remove DNS Adware From Control Panel
- Open the Control Panel and click on “Programs and Features.”
- Select DNS Unlocker and click on “Uninstall.”
Since we used Rkill, there shouldn’t be any error prompts like “Program currently in use.” However, if you encounter an error, repeat Step 1 and try again.
Step 3: Remove DNS Unlocker Adware Add-on And Plugin From Your Internet Browsers
- Click the menu icon at the top right of the browser window, choose “Tools” and choose “Extensions” to open a new “Options” tab.
- Press on the dustbin icon along with the name of the DNS adware extension to delete it completely.
- Enter “chrome://plugins/” in Chrome’s address bar to view plugins that add compatibility and functionality, such as Apple QuickTime or Adobe Flash,
- Click the “Disable” link under the DNS adware plugin.
- Click the orange “Firefox” button in the top left-hand corner of the browser window and choose “Add-ons” from the right column of the menu to open an Add-ons Manager tab in the active browser window.
- If you are using Windows XP, click on “Tools” from the menu bar near the top of the browser window and choose “Add-ons.”
- Hit “Extensions” to view the installed extensions, or click “Plugins” to view plugins.
- Click “Remove” to completely delete the DNS adware extension from both Add-ons and Plugins.
- Navigate to Safari>>Preferences.
- Click the Security pane.
- Click Manage Website Settings to see plug-in details for a particular website.
- Internet plug-ins installed on your computer appear on the left side of the plug-ins sheet. Select a plug-in to configure its website settings.
- Select “Block” to disable the DNS adware plugin and restart Safari.
- Open Internet Explorer, select the “Tools” button, and then select “Manage Add-ons.”
- Under “Show,” select “All add-on” and then select the DNS Unlocker Add-on.
- Select “Remove” and then “Close.”
Step 4: Download And Run TDSSKiller
This is the final step of the removal process to completely exterminate all the traces of DNS adware from your device. TDSSKiller is a fast and straightforward program meant to remove the harmful Rootkit Malware from your device.
Just run the executable file and it will scan and remove Rootkit as well as other possible Malware from your device.
Conclusion (DNS Unlocker)
Remember that not every time you see excessive advertisements on a particular website does it mean your system is infected. Many websites advertise excessively to earn revenue. However, it is a good practice to regularly check your browsers for suspicious Add-ons and Extensions you never installed manually.
Apart from that, just follow the steps given and your system will be Adware free. We hope it helped!
This is our guide to removing DNS Adware, we hope it assists you with your problem. And so In case you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below. Hopefully, this will solve all your problems.