Personal Computer users may have questioned “How to Remove Shortcut Virus from Pendrive / Computer” at least once during their usage period. This guide gives all the answers which arise in your mind regarding the shortcut virus. In this case, you may have faced one common problem “Unable to delete the shortcut folder.”
To overcome from this problem here, I would like to share the information and ideas about removing the Shortcut virus from your PC. First, before knowing the ways to remove the shortcut virus in your laptop to save your documents, I let you know about the shortcut virus, and it types.
What is Shortcut Virus?
It is the program which spreads throughout the software, the internet, and flash drives. It is the one which creates the replica of the original files and folders. If you try to open the folder, it will create multiples of the files and may install some virus in your PC.
The effects due to this program are, it may steal your data, or it may try to advertise on your browser or can monitor your PC activity.
Types of Shortcut Virus
- Most common shortcut virus is Flashdrive shortcut virus.
- And the other one is File and Folder Shortcut Virus.
Flash Drive Shortcut Virus
This virus will fuse all your files in the drive and save it in a hidden folder and create a .exe folder. Here you can see the files but you may no choices to perform any action. It may steal your records and install some miscellaneous applications while fixed in your system.
File and Folder Shortcut Virus
In this type, it will replicate the files stored on your PC and will hide or replace it in the form of sortcut.lnk, shortcut.vbs, shortcut.exe, and file.ini, etc. It can easily steal your data and important details from your PC. You will not have any options to delete the virus instead you can only open the folders to view the files.
You may think of destroying this virus program from your system and pen drive. Here are some of the methods to delete the shortcut virus permanently.
Methods to Remove Shortcut Virus from Pendrive / Computer
Download tools to Remove Shortcut Virus
- After getting this tool on your system using any file decompressor to extract the files.
- Next step is to run the Trojorm Removal Tool inside the flash drive.
- Then wait for scanning to complete and then press Enter.
- Next, you have to copy the Shortcut Virus Folder and paste it inside the flash drive or in the external drive.
- Then open it with the Notepad by right clicking the file
- Then look for the H: and next change it according to your flash drive’s letter.
- After editing it save it.
- Next, double click on the VBS file and choose Windows Based, Script Host.
- Run the script. After the completion of the process, the shortcut virus will be gone, and you can see your files.
This is one another easy way to remove the shortcut virus without downloading any software for removing the virus. Here are the steps to perform this method.
- The first step is to Open CMD. To open just type CMD in Run or you can find the command prompt in the start menu. Open by clicking on it.
- Next enter the name of the drive which is filled with the virus. For example, if you have the virus in the f drive type “F:.”
- Next type attrib f:*.*/d/s –h –r –s
-h is to unhide all the files in drive W.
-r is to create the files in drive W which is free of the read-only attribute
-s is to make the files on the drive W which is to be not part of the system again
f is W drive.
- The command given will Remove Shortcut Virus from the drive and can have virus free drive.
Using .Bat file
If the above CMD method does not give the better result, you may opt for this method. .Bat file is an execution of any file, and this file can be easily made using notepad. Write the following commands in the notepad and using this method you can easily clear the virus from all the drive at a time. This is one of the advantages in.Bat file because in CMD you have to remove the virus separately one by one.
Perform the following steps:
- First, open Notepad
- Type the code given underneath in the notepad
attrib –h –s –r –a /s /d Drive Name: *.*
attrib –h –s –r –a /s /d Drive Name: *.*
- In this, you can give code according to the number of drives you need clean.
- In the Drive, Name replace it with the name of the drive you need to clean
- Then save it in the name removevirus.bat and save it to the desktop for the easy access
- Then double-click on file and run it.
Now you can see the virus has been removed and all the files will be visible.
It is sure that any one of the methods will Remove Shortcut Virus in your drive and your system. You can also use this process to remove the shortcut virus in the external hard drive. You can also use some malware removal tools for windows if the methods do not work for you for some reason. But still, it is easy to remove the shortcut virus using CMD and .Bat file. Try to perform it first and if your system does not perform well, then use the Shortcut remover tools.