This error occurs when you try to start a program. This usually happens when you open game but sometimes the error occurs when running programs like Auto desk and other such programs. The reason for this error is often DLL load error. A DLL load error means that the DLL which is required to launch the program is invalid now or not signed. Here is how you can resolve The Application was Unable to Start Correctly 0xc0000142 error.
5 Ways to Fix The Application was Unable to Start Correctly 0xc0000142 Error
Sometimes the error is caused by conflicting software. Most of the times, the antivirus installed may be causing the problem.
Sometimes Nvidia drivers are causing the issue so you can try uninstalling it or disabling the GeForce utility (or any other driver utility you have installed) for a while. Now check whether your application is opening or not. Most probably it will fix The Application was Unable to Start Correctly 0xc0000142 issue.
Repair Correct Files
Download and install Reimage Plus to scan and restore missing and corrupt files from here, and then you can try the following methods.
You can try to do a clean boot. To do that, you will have to disable non-windows services and startup programs (You can re-enable them if needed. They can be re-enabled by repeating the steps and checking the ones that have been disabled.)
How to Clean Boot in Windows 7/vista
- To Clean Boot your computer, click on the ‘Windows Key’ and ‘R’ on your keyboard to open Run Dialog.
- In the Run Dialog type ‘msconfig’ and click on the ‘Services’ tab and place a tick next to ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ then click on ‘Disable All’.
- Click on ‘Start Up’ tab and click ‘Disable All’.
- Press ‘Apply’ and Restart.
How to Clean Boot in Windows 10
- Hold the ‘Windows Key’ and ‘R’.
- In the run dialogue that opens up type ‘msconfig’ and click OK. This will open ‘system configuration’ window.
- Go to the ‘Services’ tab and put a tick next to ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ and select ‘Disable All’.
- Click on ‘Apply’ and Click OK. It will prompt you to restart, choose ‘Restart Later’.
- Hold ‘Windows Key’ and ‘R’ again, then type ‘msconfig’ and click OK. This time when the ‘System Configuration’ dialogue box opens, select ‘Start Up’ and then choose ‘Open Task Manager’.
- Look at the last field called Start-Up Impact and disable all the ones with High Impact. (You can disable it by right-clicking on it and choosing ‘Disable’.)
- Once this is done; reboot your system, and it will start up in the clean boot mode.
After the clean boot, restart the system and test to see if the issue is gone or if it still exists. If it exists then do a system file scan. You can do this by going to command prompt and running sfc/scannow.
After this, you should try opening your program. You won’t face The Application was Unable to Start Correctly 0xc0000142 error again.
Running in Compatibility Mode
Running in compatibility mode is very common fix, and many people find it useful. To do so follow the given steps:
- Right click on the application icon and then select ‘Properties’.
- Click on ‘Compatibility’ tab.
- Press ‘Run compatibility troubleshooter’.
- When asked, select the ‘Try recommended settings’.
- Select ‘Test program’.
- If the program runs successfully then close the program. If the program didn’t run, then you won’t have to do anything.
- Once the application is closed, click ‘Next’.
- Click on ‘Yes’ and save these settings for this program if the program ran successfully.
- Press ‘Cancel’ if the program didn’t run.
- Check the option ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for:’
- Select Windows 7 from the drop-down list under Run this program in compatibility mode for:.
- Choose the option ‘Run this program as an administrator’.
- Click on ‘Apply’ and then select OK.
Now try opening your application and check whether it’s showing The Application was Unable to Start Correctly 0xc0000142 error or not.
Manually Downloading the Files
Since the unsigned DLL files cause the problem, you can replace them. Here is how you can do so:
- Go to Google Drive and download the three files present there.
- Go to the folder where you downloaded these files.
- Copy the files and then go to the folder where you installed your application that is showing this error.
- You have to paste the files into that folder. (If it asks whether to replace the files or skip it, select replace the files).
- Do this for all three files you have downloaded.
- Now try opening your application.
Hopefully, the methods mentioned above have helped you.