A small yellow box with an exclamation mark sometimes appears over your network connection, When you try to troubleshoot the problem you can see a message that reads ” windows cannot automatically detect proxy settings error.” This problem can be caused by changes in system files, due to some malware or adware or other file corruptions that will lead to a change in network settings. Sometimes the windows cannot solve the problem just by troubleshooting because of some or the other errors. “Windows Cannot Automatically Detect Proxy Settings” is one of the error. This is a very simple problem and can be solved easily by the person facing this problem. Here are some of the things you must do to fix this error.
Fix “Windows Cannot Automatically Detect Proxy Settings” Error
Check if your network adapter driver is correct and up-to-date
Sometimes the error can happen because of the wrong network adapter driver installed in your Windows. If this is the case, you require updating your network adapter driver.
This is a very simple and easy process, just follow these steps to update your network adapter driver.
- Press Windows + R. Run box will be opened.
- Type devmgmt.msc inside the box and press enter, Device manager will be opened.
- From the pop-up window find the Network adapters dialog and click on it.
- Find your network adapter, right click on it and choose Uninstall device option.
- Restart your machine; Windows shall automatically reinstall the latest driver for your network connection in most of the cases.
However, if Windows did not automatically re-install the driver for you; you can download the right network adapter for your Computer using Driver easy. Driver Easy is a driver tool, which automatically analyzes and recognizes your system and downloads the correct network adapter for you. Driver Easy makes the whole process easy and simple.
All you have to do is download and install the Driver Easy tool, scan and detect adapter problem if any and download the latest driver for your system using Driver Easy. There is a free and pro version of Driver Easy that will help you in installing the right network adapter for you.
Disable your Proxy server
The reason causing the “Windows Cannot Automatically Detect Proxy Settings” error might be your proxy server. You can disable the proxy server and solve the issue.
Follow these steps for disabling your proxy server.
- Press Windows + R and open the Run dialog box.
- Type inetcpl.cpl in the box and press enter.
- Internet properties window will pop up. Click on connections panel and then select LAN settings.
- Untick “Use a proxy server for your LAN.’
- Tick on “Automatically detect settings” option and then click OK.
Restart your computer after doing this, and your problem will be solved.
Reset Windows sockets and IP
Resetting your Windows sockets and IP can solve the error of “Windows Cannot Automatically Detect Proxy Settings” Follow these steps for Resetting Windows sockets and IP.
- Type cmd in the start menu. Right on command prompt from the result, click run as administrator. UAC will prompt- Now, click Yes.
- Type these commands and hit enter after typing each command.
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset
Restart your computer after doing this, and hopefully, you won’t find any problem.
Reset Internet explorer settings
Resetting your Internet explorer settings might fix the error. Follow these steps for Resetting Internet explorer settings.
- Press Windows key + R.
- Type inetcpl.cpl and press enter.
- Click on advanced tab.
- Click on reset.
- Tick the “delete personal settings” option.
- Click Reset.
These are some of the methods that you can use for successfully fixing the error of “Windows Cannot Automatically Detect Proxy Settings” error. Even after trying all the above-mentioned methods if the problem persists, it is best if you contact your ISP. The problem might be from their side and not in your system for all you know. If at all the problem is in your system, after all, the above-mentioned methods can successfully fix the error.