Sometimes nostalgia hits us very hard. We suddenly reminisce playing the old Windows 95 games. Sometimes we find those old CDs that we had kept in our attics, and we feel the sudden need to go back down memory lane. And if you are in a dilemma to run Windows 95 games on Windows 10, this article will guide you through that!
Windows has been progressively evolving ever since it started. The older features were left out with every new edition until none of the rusty software components remained. Hence, running Windows 95 games on Windows 10 is a massive headache. On reading along, you will find the answer to “How to play Windows 95 games on Windows 10 ?”
We have provided two ways to go about running Windows 95 games on Windows 10. The steps are explained easily and understandably so as for your convenience. Now, without any further delay, let’s get started! If you read the complete article, it will thoroughly brush you with how to do the same. Learn how to optimize Windows for gaming here.
Steps To Determine System Type in Windows 10
For the first method, you need to know the system type. So, before you get to it, read these steps carefully:
- Search for This PC on your desktop and right-click on it.
- Once you right-click, you will see a list of options, and if you look at the last one, you will see an option titled “Properties.”
- On clicking on “Properties,” you will be taken to a window where you will view the system’s hardware and software details.
- If you scroll down, you will find the “Device Specifications” heading.
- Under it, look for a System type. If it is 32-bit, download the 32-bit setup, else the 64-bit setup.
First Method: Download a Windows 95 Simulator on Windows 10
Downloading a simulator is the most popular and the easiest method to run Windows 95 games on Windows 10. The steps are pretty straightforward and are explained in detail below:
- You can start by opening a Web Browser of your choice, be it Chrome, Edge, or Firefox!
- There, on the top of the screen, you need to enter the following address carefully: https://github.com/felixrieseberg/windows95/releases
- After entering the address mentioned above without any errors, press enters to go to the site.
- Once you have gone to the site, scroll down to find a title named “Downloads for Windows”
- Here, you need to select between “Setup, 64-bit” and “Setup, 32-bit,” but before that, you need to know the operating system type: 64-bit or 32-bit. And if you don’t know that, follow the guide given before this heading.
- It might take some time to download, so hang on until it does! Later, go to the Documents folder or This PC folder and search for Downloads.
- Here, look for a file named windows95-win32-1.3.0-setup-x64 or windows95-win32-1.3.0-setup-x32 based on the setup type you downloaded.
- You will find a window appearing on the screen by double-clicking the file. It asks if you want to run the file, so all you have to do is click on “Run.”
- After doing so, the Windows 95 installation starts. So, please wait until it completes the installation.
- On the next screen that you see, you have Windows 95 itself! Press on the button that says “Start Windows 95”. You have the Windows 95 emulator for Windows 10 up and running!
The last step just opened a gateway to the world of nostalgia! You should no longer worry about running Windows 95 programs on Windows 10. You can play Windows 95 on Windows 10 for as long as you wish!
Second Method: Using DOSBox
Released in the early 2000s, it is software that emulates PCs handling DOS. It is used even today and is predominantly known for running games. Go through the steps enlisted underneath carefully to run Windows 95 games on Windows 10:
- The first step is getting DOSBox from its official website. You can download it by pressing here.
- Once you download it, go to the Downloads folder on your PC or search for it in your browser’s downloads. Then double-click on it. You will see an installation setup appear on your screen. Just select its location and other options that you can configure by yourself.
- Once you have completed installing, you will view a DOSBox shortcut on your desktop. This indicates that you have successfully installed it on your PC. But it might appear on your desktop if you had chosen not to have a desktop shortcut!
- Now, navigate to This PC which you can see on your desktop, and then open it.
- After that, go to the C drive or the Windows folder (C:).
- You need to create a folder named Windows3.1 to download Windows 3.1 into.
- Download Windows 3.1 by clicking here
- Extract the downloaded files using WinRAR or WinZIP.
- Insert the CD-ROM and remember the letter that your CD or DVD drive uses. Then right-click on the windows.bat file in the Windows 3.1 folder.
- Choose to edit it. Now, assuming the letter of your CD drive is E, add a link before the last line in the text document- ‘mount H E:\ -t CD-ROM and press Ctrl+S.
- Now, drag and drop this batch file into the DOSBox shortcut on the desktop. Here, press Alt+Enter and go to Main->File Manager.
- Now, press on the option as shown in the picture below:
- Once you do that, you are free to install and enjoy any games that you like!
That is how to install Windows 95 games on Windows 10!
This guide explains how you could run Windows 95 games on Windows 10! As you saw, there are two methods, both of which are easy. The first one consisted of installing a VM on your PC and playing the games through the same. The second one required you to download DOSBox to install programs and fun for your purposes. But it is to be noted that the latter method lets you play all types of games from the 1990s! Anyways, happy gaming!