If you are operating on a Windows 10 platform, then you would have definitely come across an issue where your disk space is 100% used up by the system and the compressed memory. By default, the system and the compressed memory is suppose to use a part of CPU and disk. But, at times, it uses up all the disk memory, thereby causing your system to run slow and ceasing few processes.
This concept of 100% disk usage is not a bug. It is a technique used by the developers to speed up the processes that are newly added to the queue. In earlier versions of Windows, if your RAM is filled up with processes, to free up space, the least used pages are copied into a page file and stored on the Hard drive. If you want to get back to the pages that are saved in hard drive, the system imports the page back into the memory. This made the system become slow, when there is a frequent requirement of pages that are being sent to the hard drive.
In Windows 10, to avoid such imports, a new concept of compressed memory has come. When the RAM is full with pages and has no memory left to allow new pages to process, the older pages are then compress to a smaller size, thereby freeing up space for the newer pages. Here, there is no necessity of using the external memory to store page files. All the files are stuffed up in the main memory itself. Therefore, whenever the RAM is filled with processes, it is viewed as 100% disk usage.
When the RAM is full, the system gradually slows down. To fix this issue, you can follow the below solutions, and we guarantee you that one or the other solution will definitely fix your problem with the disk usage.
- 1 How to Solve 100% Disk Usage by System and Compressed Memory Error
- 1.1 Set the Paging File Size to Default
- 1.2 Scan if There is Any Virus and Malware
- 1.3 Disable the System and Compressed Memory Process
- 1.4 Disable the SuperFetch Service
- 1.5 Killing the Speech Runtime Executable process
- 1.6 Repair the corrupt system files
- 1.7 Add an extra RAM to your system
- 1.8 Uninstall unnecessary applications
- 1.9 Do not keep open any unnecessary software or tabs
- 1.10 Update Whenever the Notification Comes
- 2 FAQs
- 3 Conclusion
How to Solve 100% Disk Usage by System and Compressed Memory Error
there are so many ways from which you can solve this problem. We have listed all ways below which can help to resolve this matter. You can go through and apply whichever suits you best.
Set the Paging File Size to Default
If by any chance, your paging file size has changed, memory compression problem might occur resulting in a 100% disk usage due to larger page file sizes. To set the paging file size to a default value, follow the following steps:
- Open Start Menu.
- Click on settings in the left pane.
- Type ‘Performance’ in the search bar.
- Select ‘Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows’ from the results obtained by the search operation.
- A dialog box with the name ‘Performance Options’ will come.
- Navigate to the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under the virtual memory, click on the ‘Change’ button.
- In the virtual memory window, check the ‘Automatically manage paging file size for all drives’ option and click OK. If it is complete, just click OK.
- A restart request is prompted after clicking on ‘OK’. Restart the computer and check if the disk usage has reduced its percentage.
Scan if There is Any Virus and Malware
Viruses and malware can be a threat to systems in many ways. Underlying viruses and malware can be the reason for System and Compressed Memory’s high disk usage. You can download any antivirus compatible with your system.
Run through and scan your whole system. It will detect and clear the virus. Restart your system and check the system and compressed memory disk usage
Disable the System and Compressed Memory Process
The system and compressed memory is the main component that uses most of your disk space. In order to reduce disk usage, the best option is to stop the process.
- Open Control Panel.
- Open Administrative Tools.
- In the Task Scheduler, click on ‘Task Scheduler Library’ to expand its contents.
- Click on Microsoft to expand its contents too.
- In the left pane, under Microsoft, click on ‘Windows’ to expand its contents.
- In the left pane, under Windows, click on ‘Memory Diagnostic’ to view its content in the right pane.
- Right click on ‘RunFullMemoryDiagnosticEntry’.
- Click on ‘Disable’.
- Now, restart the computer and check if the disk usage is still high.
See also:[Fix] 100% Disk Usage By System and Compressed Memory – TechWhoop
Disable the SuperFetch Service
SuperFetch service is used to monitor the system performance. But at times, it may degrade the overall performance while monitoring other tasks. Disk usage is one such task, that might degrade the performance. So, to enhance your overall system performance, disable the SuperFetch Service.
- Windows Logo key + R to open run.
- In the run window, type regedit and press enter to open the Registry Editor.
- In the left pane, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, click on SYSTEM.
- Under SYSTEM, expand CurrentControlSet.
- Then navigate to Control >> Session Manager >> Memory Management.
- Under Memory Management, click on PrefetchParameters to view its contents in the right pane.
- In the right pane, open EnabelSuperfetch and replace the value with 0.
- Click OK. Close the registry and restart the system.
Killing the Speech Runtime Executable process
It is find that a process name speech runtime executable process can also be a cause of system high disk usage. When you find that the speech runtime executable process is the main problem then just killing can help your system. To kill it, You can resolve this issue by following the below-mentioned steps:
- Launch task manager by pressing ctr+shift+esc
- Find speech runtime executable in the process tab of the task manager.
- For the last step just click on end task.
Speech runtime executable process can pop up multiple times as it is a system process. In this case, you have to repeat the above-mentioned steps again and again to kill the system runtime executable process.
Repair the corrupt system files
Scan through your system and check for any corrupt files. If you find any corrupt files, try to repair them. Delete the files that are not working even on repair. Now check the disk usage. If it is still high, try the next alternative solution.
If none of the above solutions have really worked out, these fix might help you:
Add an extra RAM to your system
If an additional memory attaches to the RAM, then there will be no need to compress to save extra space for new pages. The RAM will still have space for new pages to occupy.
Uninstall unnecessary applications
If you have any unnecessary applications that are just junk, uninstall them. It saves some space in the memory, thereby the disk is not complete with running processes.
Do not keep open any unnecessary software or tabs
If you have any applications or tabs opened but not in use, kindly close them. Also, this lessens the overhead on the CPU and the memory is freed. Thereby, the system remains a bit faster than earlier.
Update Whenever the Notification Comes
Always updating your system is another way to avoid this issue. Whenever there is any update, make sure to click on it as it will help and give more disk space.
What do you understand when it shows disk usage is 100%?
When you see that your disk usage is showing 100% then it means that there is no space left. You will start noticing that your system speed is degrading. It affects your system speed drastically so you had to follow some steps to correct it.
What is the reason behind 100% disk usage?
There are many reasons which your disk usage is showing 100%. Due to limited ram space, the virus entered in your system, space owned by so many apps, so many tabs or browsers open at one time, etc. there can be so many reasons behind this problem.
So, when you notice that your system is running slow then don’t forget to check the system and memory disk. If you find the problem there then follow all the steps mentioned here to resolve this issue. We have also noted down some tips for you which can help you to avoid this problem occurring beforehand.