Windows defender is an antivirus software that comes with the windows installation starting from Windows 7 previously until Windows 10 running now. The security software is built to provide the basic security features to keep the system clean and free from viruses, malware, rootkits, spyware, and other types of malicious software. The protection software runs automatically in the system as a background process and offers real time protection to the system. It is disabled automatically when it detects another protection program in the computer until the time it is getting installed. But there may be some chances where you need to Permanently Disable Windows Defender and don’t want any malware removal tools for Windows.
e.g. In, a private office environment where the computers never get connected to the internet and connecting external media to the computer is not allowed. Turning off the windows defender will ensure the speed of the computer system and faster work with it.
So I am going to discuss some tricks that you can use for disabling the windows defender permanently whether the computer is in a network or not.
Note: Before going through the steps mentioned below you must have a backup of your windows because modifying group policies and the registry settings may prove to be harmful to your windows and may result in corruption of windows. Therefore, I advise to make a backup of your windows and go through the process afterward. And there might be a situation where your Windows will get locked. In that case, you can use this guide for resetting the password on Windows 10.
Permanently Disable Windows Defender on Windows 10
Using Settings App
This method will won’t Permanently Disable Windows Defender but temporarily. And will keep flashing a notification in time intervals to turn the defender on. It will work only in windows 8, 8.1 and 10.
- Open settings for the respective windows version.
- Click on Update & Security Panel.
- Click on windows defender in the left side list.
- Turn off the toggle switches for Real-time protection, Cloud-based protection, and Automatic sample submission.
This method may work until you turn on the defender by yourself or it may get auto tuned on when you reboot your computer.
Now let us discuss the permanent solutions for the task.
Using Local Group Policy
If you are using the windows for an organization, where there are some computer connected to a network, and you wish to Permanently Disable Windows Defender running in those computers, then you can do so by modifying the Local Group Policy.
The procedure to be followed is:
- Use windows key + R on your keyboard for a shortcut to launch a Run application, or you can search for it in the start menu by opening the start menu and Type: gpedit.msc and tap on enter to open the group policy editor.
- Now go through the following path:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Defender
- On the right panel of the editor, double click on the Turn off windows defender.
Select enabled in the top left corner.
- Click apply and ok to disable the defender and reboot your computer.
- To turn on the defender at any time, you just have to browse through it once again and just select the Not Configured option, apply it, and reboot your computer and defender will start working fine again.
Using the Registry
You can Permanently Disable Windows Defender by modifying the registry for the applications. Just follow the procedure, and you will easily do it.
- Use windows key + R on your keyboard for a shortcut to launch a Run application, or you can search for it in the start menu by opening the start menu and type run.
- Type regedit and press Enter to open the registry editor.
- Now go through the following path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Policies -> Microsoft -> Windows Defender
- See for the REG_DWORD DisableAntiSpyware in the right panel of the editor. If you find it, then double click it and set the value to 1.
- If you are unable to find it then right click in the space and tap on New and later on DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Set the Value Name to DisableAntiSpyware and value to 1.
- Now, reboot your computer to implement the settings and disable the defender.
You can also switch on the defender any time you want, just go through the same path and set the value to 0 and reboot your computer and you are good to go.
Permanently Disable Windows Defender by modifying the Services is very simple just follow the steps.
- Go to Control Panel now click on Administrative Tools. Now open the services from here by double clicking on services to open the services editor.
- Alternatively, Use Windows Key + R on your keyboard for a shortcut to launch a Run application.
- Or you can look up for it inside the start menu by opening the start menu and type run.
- Now type services.msc and tap on Enter to open the services editor.
- Now search for Windows Defender service.
- Open it by double clicking it.
- Now change the startup type to disable.
- Click Apply, ok and restart your computer to apply the changes.
- You can always turn the defender service on by just setting the startup type to Automatic and apply it.
Disabling the windows defender in the absence of any other virus protection software is very risky for your computer. More especially, when your computer is connected to the internet. Therefore, it is recommended, that either you let it run on your computer or buy any other virus protection software from a vendor such as Quick Heal, Avast, K7 Security, AVG Avira and much more to keep your computer free form viruses and other harmful software.