Learn How to Change Startup Sound in Windows 10 and provide a personal touch to your system to make it cooler and impress your friends. Windows 10, the operating system, the newer operating system of Microsoft is in the market from 2015 and packs a whole bunch of new features, multiple language support and windows applications which are more efficient hence less on resources.
Windows 10 is the lightest operating system ever came in name of Windows. Being said that windows ten did remove some minor features(which are present in earlier versions of windows) and one of them is the logoff, log on, and exit sound settings. Moreover one can also check and verify their graphic card, for a better and smooth running performance.
I have seen questions asking why any company removes an existing feature, well to that I have a simple answer, companies have analysts(business, data, product, etc.), they analyze how users are using a feature.
Is a feature unnecessarily being used? Or, if it is even used often? They ask users, using surveys, by going through forum discussion, YouTube comments, tweets, Facebook posts, articles, magazines and a lot of stuff.
Then after they decide whether do they need the feature in question or not. Since this is not what actually we are looking for, let us come back to our main topic which is how we can change Startup sound in Windows 10.
Something You Should Know Before Changing
Before diving into the stuff first let me introduce a database/tool which we will be using to change some settings, Registry Editor. The Registry is a database in which low-level settings for the operating system and other software are stored. The kernel, device drivers, services can all access it.”
In this article, I am going to try to explain how we, with the help of some registry tweaks, can change the startup sound in Windows 10. Microsoft does not allow users to directly change startup sound from the “sounds” settings. Let me show you a way that I have had tried in recent time. The default sounds are present in the Windows\winSxS folder.
One can spot them by searching for Windows Logon Sound.wav, Windows Logoff Sound.wav Windows Shutdown.wav, and Windows Startup.wav. Although one can replace them with their own sound file(having same name and format), this is not what we are going to do. We will try a better solution and, which does not include deleting or replacing any file manually.
Let us understand the registry tweaks. Although Microsoft has hidden the log on, log off and exit sound settings, we, still can get those back by tweaking some values in registries. For that user must have administrator rights. Since we know, registries store low-level settings. Hence it is in recommendation that you must not be interfering with something that you do not know. Now let us get back to our concerning topic.
How to Change Startup Sound in Windows 10
- First login to your system with administrator rights, as administrator rights are a must to access registry editor.
- On the search/Cortana tab type “Regedit,” hit enter. This will open a window which is registry editor. A registry editor looks like this.
- Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER.(HKEY_CURRENT_USER contains configuration information for Windows and tools or software specific to the currently logged in user.)
- Expand AppEvents.
- Expand EventLabels.
- Browse for System Exit.
- Open ExcludeFromCPL and change the default value(1) to 0.
- The value one means that the action is in hide mode from the control panel, changing it to 0 will reverse the action, i.e., we will have the exact sound settings in control panel.
- Now open WindowsLogon and change the default value(1) to 0.
- Similarly, open WindowsLogoff and change the default value(1) to 0.
- Now open sound setting from the rightmost of the taskbar. Now you can see options to change/set logon, logoff and system exit sound.
This concludes our article. Hope you understood how you could Change Startup Sound in windows 10. If you are encountering any issue during the whole procedure, you can comment in the comment section.