Windows OS has the habit of picking updates while you expect a fast, yet safe shutdown. The recommendation is to allow the updates to install up to 100%. In unique circumstances, Windows updates get stuck. And that’s an error that requires several steps to resolve. Error- stuck on Preparing to configure Windows presents in a warning reading or do not turn off your computer. But it may show on other warnings close to the following:
- Preparing to configure Windows or Configuring Windows updates.
- Please do not power off or install an update x of x…
- Getting Windows ready
It may vary concerning the versions of OS you have in place. But the updates never end. And Windows may crash when updating, check these solutions to fix it.
See also: How to Remove Malware Protection Live from PC?
Why does the “Error – stuck on Preparing to configure Windows” Occur?
There are several reasons why the Windows update window freezes. One primary cause is the conflict between the software on the PC. Other causes arise from conditions where an update of the Windows OS brings up the problem.
In rare but actual scenes, Windows requires updating several times at a go. And while in the procedures, the due process flaws, resulting in the error regarding updates getting stuck. Other scenes may arise while after a trigger by administrators to repair the OS.
See also: Windows License Will Expire Soon? Here’s What You Should Do!
Quick Fixes for Error – Stuck on Preparing to configure Windows
Read the solutions below to fix this error
Solution 1: Hold on For Windows to Install All Updates
In actual terms, if given the time, the OS may finally succeed in the updates and configure correctly.
When Windows has not been updated for long, it may only just require time to sort everything in good order.
Allow a reasonable time. Two hours should be okay. After that, if the PC is still showing the error, “Preparing to configure Windows,” it’s time to get fixes from another level.
Solution 2: Detach all peripherals and Attempt a Hard Reboot
The error, “Preparing to configure Windows” arises when you command a shutdown; disconnect all the external devices: USB drives and external hard disks, and proceed to the following steps:
1. Press down and hold on the power button. That way, you’ll force shut the system.
2. Disconnect power inlets, including UPSs. For Laptops, remove the battery.
3. Press down on the power button. Fifteen seconds are enough.
4. Leave everything for a few minutes. Proceed to power the PC and replace the battery with the laptop.
5. Reboot the system by pressing the power button.
6. You might get a notification requiring booting, usually if the shutdown was improper.
Proceed to sign in to the Windows and follow the steps below to check if the error persists.
Use the keyboard, click on the start or Windows logo key, and type in words- Windows update. From the choices, select on Check for updates.
1. In the dialog box, select on Check for updates.
2. Hold on for Windows to download and install all updates.
Restart and see if the PC error comes up – “Preparing to configure Windows” again.
Windows professional recommends that the PC remains connected to power and 12 hours for all updates.
After, if the error persists, redo the hard reboot again. And try another fix.
Solution 3: Do a Clean Boot
The next fix is to attempt a clean boot if the issue recurs. It’s troubleshooting which disables the services and startups manually. In the process, you can spot the software with a problem and uninstall it.
Here are the steps to do a clean boot:
1. Press on Windows key or start + the R key simultaneously. There’ll pop up the dialog box and in it, key in msconfig and hit the Enter key.
The window for System Configuration should show up.
2. Choose the tab on the Services tab, and the bottom left, select on the tab – “Hide all Microsoft services.” Next, select on Disable all at the bottom right.
3. Proceed to the tab next to services. Select the Startup and locate plus select on Open Task Manager.
4. Still, on the Startup tab in the Task Manager, select each startup item, and select Disabled.
5. Get back to the System Configuration dialog box, select okay.
6. Select on Restart to reboot the PC.
7. Carry out a Windows update once more restarting your Windows.
Follow the process below.
1. Press on Start or Windows Key+ R simultaneously and proceed to check for updates on Windows.
2. Wait for the download-updates to download fully, and installs to take place.
3. After all, installs, restart, and check if the error shows.
4. Suppose no error shows up, excellent. You’ve already resolved the issue: “Preparing to configure Windows.”
Next, proceed to the System Configurations window and ensure you’ve enabled all the services previously disabled.
Enable each service and follow it up with a restart of the PC to apply the changes.
In case the error crops up again, you may proceed to perform a system restore top resolve it.
Bonus Quick Fix: Update Drivers to the Latest Versions
The error with updates arises due to outdated versions of drivers. Therefore, it’s a great idea to update to the latest versions.
There are two ways to update if the drivers: do it manual or automatic.
If you go the old-fashioned way, search, and download the drivers from the manufacturers’ websites. Users need to be sure that the download-updates are compatible with the Windows OS in place.
Systems are complex, and so is the security environment within which they run. Updates cover you, especially if you are on the internet most of your time.
Pay attention to updates, both for the Operating Systems and software drivers. Developers pay attention to security patches, and so you should keep up the updates to the most current.
If updates seem to interfere with your work schedules, you can do them while your PC is less engaged. Take advantage of weekends and holidays to run updates.
See also:Fix Windows Diagnostic Policy Service is Not Running Error – TechWhoop
Windows requires the essential updates to keep the system updated with recent security changes. As such, it’s critical to allow the updates to be installed from time to time. However, when hitches occur with downloads getting stuck – the startup error, you have the insights to handle it adequately.