The Error Code # 268D3 basically means that your PC has found an adware or PUP, i.e., Potentially unwanted programmes. They are not necessarily virus and hardly affect your device. Thus, you must know how to fix Error # 268D3 now!
Error # 268D3 is sent to the users to trick them into thinking that their computer has been crashed or it has got a virus which is not true. The error asks you to call a support number to fix it but it’s nothing but a scam.
This error may come to you in the form of a toolbar or may not interfere at all. However, it’s essential to remove it from its core to make your computer safe and secure.
How to Remove Error # 268D3 Fake Alerts
If you have got a fake error # 268D3 on your computer, there’s nothing to worry about because here’s how to fix it. In this article, you are going to learn how to fix the error #268D3 fake alert in some straightforward ways.
Reboot in Safe mode
So, let’s start with a fundamental step, i.e., Rebooting. It’s probably not a permanent solution to the Error # 268D3 but it will surely help you to get out of the window.
Putting your computer in safe mode restricts some of the features of the malware, adware and the viruses which are present in your computer as a result of which they do not function fully. Rebooting your computer in safe mode will shut down the error temporarily.
Once you’ve shut down the malware temporarily, you must proceed further and remove Error # 268D3 from its core so that it wouldn’t occur again. It’s pretty simple and here’s how to begin with it.
- Open the task manager in your computer by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Once the Task manager is opened, go to the processes tab and look for the suspicious files. Usually, file with an unknown extension could be malware and might harm your computer.
- If you’ve found any malware/Virus or any file which might harm your computer, Right-click on it and select ‘Open file location’.
- Now end that particular function through the task manager and delete the file from its folder.
The error # 268D3 is nothing but a scam and also a kind of browser hack. Once you’re over with the first two steps, you come to this one. This process might seem a little lengthy and complicated at first but its only for the best results and to make your PC more secure.
To check if your PC has been hacked, you’ll have to check if there are any other IP address is functioning on your computer. But don’t you worry because it’s not as complicated as it sounds. Here’s what you have to do.
- Press Win + R.
- Copy and paste the link below into the box and press OK.
Once you do it, a new notepad file will open with the IP details at the bottom of the notepad. Now, if you are hacked, there would get a bunch of other IP addresses from other computers.
It’s safe, if you cant, find any other IP addresses except for your own, but if you do, you must do something to remove them and get your PC to safety. If you’re not getting the process, it’s okay.
How to Check if the Settings are Alright?
- Open the start menu and search for Network Setting. Windows 10 users can use Cortana.
- Right-click on the network adapter you use, and select Properties.
- Click on Internet Version Protocol 2 (ICP/IP) and select ‘Properties’ option below.
- Once you are in the properties, make sure DNS line is Set DNS server automatically. If it is not allowing you to set this way, do it by yourself.
- Now click on the advance button at the bottom of the dialogue box. A new tab will open.
- Get to the DNS tab and remove everything there.
Change Browser Setting
Once you do with the above steps, you have entirely secure your computer from the other IPs addresses. But there’s still one loophole in the system, i.e., your browser. There’s just a minor setting that you need to change to make the precaution. Here’s what you have to do.
- Right-click on your browser’s icon and select Properties.
- Go to the shortcut tab and check if there’s anything written after “exe”.
- If there is, just remove everything after “exe” and press Apply.
Adwcleaner & Malwarebytes
Well, if you are not much into computer & systems and having trouble doing the steps I’ve mentioned above, here’s an easy way out to fix Error # 268D3. Although steps above are more critical as you’re having trouble with it, this software is perfect for you.
Once you’ve downloaded the software, install it on your computer. Your User Account Control might pop up asking permission to run the programme, click Yes, there’s nothing to worry about.
It has a comfortable interface and that makes it easy even for those who are not much into the computer. Once you’ve installed it entirely on your PC, just run a Scan and the software will detect and remove all the malware and suspicious functions by itself so that your computer will be safe.
Listed above are some of the ways which will remove the fake error # 268D3 from your computer along with all other malware and adware present in it making it secure from any other such errors and viruses, preventing your computer to be hacked.
You can download the software Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner anyway as its always best to maintain the precautions so that you will never face any further trouble. I hope this article was useful to you.