Error Code # 268D3 means that your PC has found an adware or PUP, i.e., Potentially unwanted programs. They are not necessarily viruses and hardly affect your device. Thus, you must know how to fix Error # 268D3 now!
If you encounter error 268d3 on your computer, understand that this is fraudulent, and you should avoid dialing the number provided at all costs. This deceptive pop-up, which is surprisingly well-articulated and often comes with an audio message, is a ploy employed by Scammers.
This error may come to you as a toolbar or may not interfere at all. However, removing it from its core is essential to secure your computer.
See Also: How to Fix Stuck on ‘Preparing to configure Windows’ Issue
Table of Contents
How to Remove Error # 268D3 Fake Alerts
If you have a fake error # 268D3 on your computer, there’s nothing to worry about because here’s how to fix it. In this article, you will learn how to fix error #268D3 fake alert in some straightforward ways.
Reboot in Safe mode
So, let’s start with a fundamental step, i.e., Rebooting. It’s probably not a permanent solution to the Error # 268D3 but it will surely help you to get out of the window.
Putting your computer in safe mode restricts some of the features of the malware, adware, and viruses that are present in your computer, resulting from which they do not function fully. Rebooting your computer in safe mode will shut down the error temporarily.
Once you’ve shut down the malware temporarily, you must proceed further and remove Error # 268D3 from its core so that it wouldn’t occur again. It’s pretty simple, and here’s how to begin with it.
- Open the task manager in your computer by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Once the Task Manager is opened, go to the processes tab and look for the suspicious files. Usually, files with an unknown extension could be malware and might harm your computer.
- If you’ve found any malware/Virus or any file which might harm your computer, Right-click on it and select ‘Open file location’.
- Now end that particular function through the task manager and delete the file from its folder.
See also: How to Fix Long Running Script Error
The error # 268D3 is nothing but a scam and also a kind of browser hack. Once you finish the first two steps, you come to this one. This process might seem a little lengthy and complicated initially, but its only for the best results and to make your PC more secure.
To check if your PC has been hacked, you’ll have to check if any other IP address is functioning on your computer. But don’t worry because it’s not as complicated as it sounds. Here’s what you have to do.
- Press Win + R.
- Copy and paste the link below into the box and press OK.
Once you do it, a new notepad file will open with the IP details at the bottom of the notepad. Now, if you are hacked, there will get a bunch of other IP addresses from other computers.
It’s safe if you cant find any other IP addresses except for your own, but if you do, you must do something to remove them and get your PC to safety. If you’re not getting the process, it’s okay.
See Also: How to Remove MPC Cleaner from Windows [4 Ways]
How to Check if the Settings are Alright?
- Open the start menu and search for Network Setting. Windows 10 users can use Cortana.
- Right-click on the network adapter you use, and select Properties.
- Click on Internet Version Protocol 2 (ICP/IP) and select ‘Properties’ option below.
- Once you are in the properties, make sure the DNS line is Set DNS server automatically. If it does not allow you to set it this way, do it by yourself.
- Now click on the advance button at the bottom of the dialogue box. A new tab will open.
- Get to the DNS tab and remove everything there.
See Also: How to Remove Firefox Update Virus from Windows
Change Browser Setting
Once you do the above steps, you have entirely secured your computer from the other IP addresses. But the system still has one loophole, i.e., your browser. There’s just a minor setting that you need to change to make the precaution. Here’s what you have to do.
- Right-click on your browser’s icon and select Properties.
- Go to the shortcut tab and check if there’s anything written after “exe”.
- If there is, remove everything after “exe” and press Apply.
Adwcleaner & Malwarebytes
Well, if you are not much into computers & systems and having trouble doing the steps I’ve mentioned above, here’s an easy way to fix Error # 268D3. Although the steps above are more critical as you’re having trouble with it, this software is perfect for you.
Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner will remove the fake error # 268D3 and all other malware on your computer.
Once you’ve downloaded the software, install it on your computer. Your User Account Control might pop up asking permission to run the program. Click Yes, there’s nothing to worry about.
It has a comfortable interface, and that makes it easy even for those who are not much into the computer. Once you’ve installed it entirely on your PC, just run a Scan, and the software will detect and remove all the malware and suspicious functions by itself to keep your computer safe.
See Also: How to Remove Pluto TV Virus in 6 Simple Steps
Listed above are some ways to remove the fake error # 268D3 from your computer along with all other malware and adware present in it, making it secure from any other such errors and viruses and preventing your computer from being hacked.
You can download the software Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner anyway, as it’s always best to maintain precautions never to face any further trouble. I hope this article was helpful to you.
See Also: Best 10 Computer Repair Tools to Fix Issues | Must Have (2023)