The Windows 10 Anniversary update has improved aesthetics and added many features, but it also comes with specific errors and bugs, a common one being windows 10 unexpected store exception error. Every time this error shows up, your computer will completely freeze and force you to restart it.
It is also often accompanied by the Blue Screen of Death or BSOD and associated BSOD errors like Critical Process Died.
In this article, we talk about the Unexpected Store Exception error accompanied by the BSOD in your Windows 10 computer and how you can fix the problem.
See Also : How to Remove Zepto Virus in 8 Simple Steps
- 1 Solve Unexpected Store Exception Error
- 1.1 Unexpected Store Exception Error Causes
- 1.2 Repair the Corrupt System Files
- 1.3 Remove Anti-Virus
- 1.4 Disable Fast Startup Feature
- 1.5 Driver Upgrading
- 1.6 Windows Update
- 1.7 Check Hard Disk Health
- 1.8 Disabling the Sleep Mode
- 1.9 Uninstall Display Drivers
- 1.10 Update Display Drivers
- 1.11 Reconnect Hard Drive
- 2 Conclusion
Solve Unexpected Store Exception Error
Unexpected Store Exception Error Causes
To successfully solve a problem, it becomes essential to know the cause or probable causes of the problem. Hence we first look at some of the reasons for this Store Exception Error. As with any of the other dreaded BSOD errors, the reason behind could be Driver problems, Hardware Issues and often due to third-party programs and software.
Here are some of the characteristics of ‘unexpected store exception’ error.
- The error has very random occurrence. But generally, it has been seen that the error occurs in two ways- while rebooting the system or while running specific programs.
- The error has frequently been observed when the system has been running for long hours, or the system resumes after long duration of hibernation.
- If the system is left untouched for a long time after this error occurs, the system will automatically restart but will not display the Bios logo. For a proper startup, you will have to shut down your computer forcefully and boot it up again.
- After this error has occurred multiple times, another BSOD error called critical_process_died also occurs.
Since the cause of the error can be different, hence the solution will also be different. Now, we will explore some of the possible solutions to this error.
Repair the Corrupt System Files
Using the built-in System File Checker program that accompanies the Windows 10 you can scan and repair corrupt files on your computer. Open the Command Prompt (Admin) box from the Start Menu. In this box, type ‘sfc /Scannow’ as written here and press enter. This command should start the file checker which will take time to do its work and solve the problem.
You can also use third party software like Reimage that can thoroughly scan your computer and detect any corrupt system files or missing files that can cause errors like this one. After detection, it can also repair or replace these files.
If the corrupt or missing files were responsible for the Store Exception error, then the problem would go away after a simple restart. But, if the problem was for a different cause then you will have to use one of the methods mentioned below. Learn about How to Fix “Windows Store Isn’t Available Right Now
McAfee Anti-Virus Program has been the culprit for Store Exception error after the Windows 10 Anniversary update. You can remove the error by disabling the McAfee.
For uninstalling, go the Control Panel and select the section called ‘Programs.’ Scan the list to find the McAfee Anti-virus program or any other virus protection software that you may have installed on your computer. Ideally, you should uninstall all of them (if multiple) by right-clicking on them and clicking on ‘Uninstall.’
After the uninstall procedure is complete, restart your computer, and the chances of the error reappearing should now become very low. If the error persists, refer to the solutions mentioned in this list.
Note: The ‘Microsoft Defender’ in Windows 10 is a powerful and efficient antivirus application, so removing other similar third-party programs will not pose any threat to your computer from viruses.
Disable Fast Startup Feature
The Fast Startup is an exclusive Windows 10 feature that allows the computer to boot up faster. Now, though this is a good feature, it causes errors like Store Exception error on older machines.
Thus, if you have an older device, it is best to disable the fast startup feature by following these steps- Go to the Power button in the Start menu of Windows. There will be an option, ‘Choose what the power button does’ on the left-hand side of the window.
Choosing this option will show ‘Change Settings that are currently unavailable’ option, under which you will have to select the option of Turn Off fast startup option. You will have to save these settings and restart your computer to check if the problem persists.
An outdated Windows driver may also be the cause of the error. Software’s like “Drive the life“ or “Slimdrivers” can check your computer and update required drivers.
In other ways, you can also do it manually by using the Windows Device Manager, where you have to the right click on the driver and select the option of ‘Update driver software’.
Sometimes an update can be the cause of the problem, or a further update can solve the problem. If your computer was working well before having the updates, then uninstall the update in ‘programs and Features’ section of the Start Menu.
To install a new update, go to the ‘Check for updates’ section under ‘Updates and security’ in the ‘Settings’ windows of the Start Menu.
Check Hard Disk Health
If you hard disk has bad sectors, then this could be the cause of your unexpected_store_exception windows 10 error. To understand if the issue is with the hard drive, check the health of your hard disk.
To do this, in Command prompt (Admin), type ‘chkdsk C: /f /r /x’ as given here and press enter. For scanning, replace the letter ‘C’ in the command with the name of the drive you wish to scan.
You can also wish to check Hard Drive health using third party software like Crystal Disk. Once you complete the checking, reboot your computer.
Disabling the Sleep Mode
Sometimes, the sleep mode is enabled in the system by default can cause the uunexpected store exception windows 10 error and throw a blue screen of death. To try and fix that, you can try turning off the sleep mode. Here is how you can do that:
- First, you need to the right click on the battery icon present in the system tray and then select the power options from the context menu. This option may not be visible if you are a PC user in the in which case you need to search for Choose a power plan in the windows query bar by pressing Windows + S keys together.
- There might be multiple power options listed in the window that opens after clicking on that option. All you need to do is, click on the change plans settings, which is a clickable link present in front of the power plant which you are presently using on your computer.
- In the next window, you need to choose when should your computer be put to sleep in the option that right supports the computer to sleep. They make sure it was never in both the dropdown menus for on battery as well as plugged in settings respectively.
See Also : 10 Best Free Equalizer Software for Windows
That’s it. Now I just have to restart your computer and see if the unexpected store exception error has been resolved.
Uninstall Display Drivers
Though we have already covered updating your drivers in an earlier section in this article. You still might need to update your display drivers is well. It might come across as here as unrelated. But even a faulty or outdated Display Driver can cause quite a lot of issues in Windows system. Such as the unexpected store exception leading to a blue screen of death. So here is how you can update your display drivers:
- First, you need to boot into safe mode. To do that, all you need to do is press and hold the shift key while you click the restart but option on your Windows computer. This will put you into a mode where no third party apps are running in the background. And only the system apps, as well as the built-in Windows Essentials. They will be loaded into the memory. This is ideal to check whether any third party applications are going to be problematic to the normal functionality of your computer.
- Once you have voted into the safe mode, you just need to go into the device manager by entering the windows run the application using Windows + R key combination and then typing devmgmt.msc in the text field, then click OK. This will open up the device manager window of your computer.
- In the device manager app, you need to find the display adaptor section where you find display drivers for your system.
- Next, you have to the right-click on the Display Driver listed, and select option uninstall the device from the context menu. You have to confirm it again in a popup dialogue box Just for safety.
- After the uninstall has been done, restart your computer.
Update Display Drivers
Know that the existing device drivers have been removed, you have to check for windows updates by searching the same in the Windows search bar. In the windows update section, click on the button that reads check for updates. Windows system will automatically check for any updates available on the Internet and install them automatically.
Do it, after which your systems unexpected store exception issues might have been fixed.
What is always for windows update is unreliable. Meaning that it may not be able to find the right driver in time. Or maybe it will say that and ORS system of yours is up to date, which is not true. You can also do this manually by following the simple steps below:
- You just have to enter the device manager using the earliest apps and click on your Display Driver again. Only this time I just have to click on the update driver option from the right-click context menu. This is instead of the other option.
- Now when you pop up with an automatic and Manual option for you to choose. Click on the browse my computer for Driver Software option.
- You have to select a path where Windows will later install the drivers too. Once you select the driver, click OK.
- And then get the process over with. The new drivers have install, restart your system. With the new drivers in place, see if the unexpected store exception in your Windows system has been resolved.
Reconnect Hard Drive
It can be quiet beneficial to simply remove the hard disk. And reinstall it once again to see if it fixes the problem. This process in a lot easier if you are a PC user who has a tower nearby. But it is doable.
Even if you have followed the above step to fix Unexpected Store Exception where you check your hard disk health. I still recommend you do this once because you may never know if the hard disk has been losing the overtime. This is especially normal if you are the computer is a portable device meaning a laptop.
Simply turn off your computer first. And check the power and take off the battery if you are on the laptop. Press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds. This is to discharge the residual charges present in the motherboard. After that, unplug the hard drive from its slot. Wait for few seconds, clean it and put it back in. You can even do the same with the RAM slot as well. Because the RAM directly affects the boot.
I remember that when I got my laptop couple of days ago, I did not install properly. And did not show anything on display at all. It did give me a mini Heart Attack, making me think that I screwed up something with display tables, but in the end, it was just a loose RAM stick. So, make sure you plug it back in correctly and reboot your computer. With any luck, your system old reboot as usual without any blue screen of death on your face.
So, these were some of the easy and effective ways by which you can fix the unexpected store exception error. And blue screen of death that follows it on your Windows machine. Just follow all the steps from top to bottom. And I am sure that you will get yourself out of this pickle. Best of luck!