Xbox One is a very popular gaming console with players being connected all around the world and having fun. To make experience even more real one can go and download xbox 360 emulator. Being able to chat with friends, participate in multiplayer games and much more, all of it is dependent on the NAT type that has been set up. Thus, you must know, how to Change NAT Type on Xbox One.
NAT affects only peer-to-peer gaming, so if you are using dedicated servers, it will not cause any issue. To take the best out of it, let’s explore about how to Change NAT Type on Xbox One. Moreover, to make it as the best experience, you can also operate gameshare on Xbox one console.
What is NAT?
NAT stands for Network Address Translation. This actually helps your router to connect your device to the Internet, by making use of IP addresses, specifically IPv4 addresses.
About 4.3 billion IP addresses are available, but it still isn’t enough for each device to hold one. So your internet provider takes all the separate IPv4 addresses of your household stuff, and use only one for all of them. This does solve the issue, but for devices outside your network, will see only one IP address for each of these connected devices.
In this case, NAT comes to the rescue. When any individual device makes a request from the router, NAT keeps a log of it. When the response arrives, NAT makes sure it reaches the correct device.
Most often, Xbox uses a UPnP to process an open NAT type.
UPnP stands for Universal Plug and Play. This is very useful as it allows your console to communicate easily with your router by making use of automatic port forwarding. You can play on an Open NAT type, without having to do manual configuration.
But, UPnP on Xbox One has a flawed implementation, so the connection with many other users online will not be an easy go. Now that we know about What is NAT, let’s dig deep to know different types of NAT and then will see how to Change NAT Type on Xbox One.
Types of NAT
- Open NAT: This is the optimum type, allowing you to chat and party up with players freely. You can also host multiplayer games with people of any type.
- Moderate NAT: It is better than strict type, but the connection will still be slower, with certain lags, and also, you won’t host the games in most cases.
- Strict NAT: This is the worst type. Allows you to connect to players who have an Open type only. Lots of disconnects in-game, as well as lags, and slow connection.
Checking your NAT type
This is fairly easy to do. Some games like Call of Duty show your NAT type in the pre-game lobby. If not available, you can find it under network settings.
Go to Home->Settings->Network Settings.
You will be able to see your NAT type under the Current Network Status. Now since we are done with checking NAT type, now let’s move ahead and see how can we Change NAT Type on Xbox One.
Change NAT Type on Xbox One
When you check your NAT type, if it is already set up as Open, then it is all well, and good, and nothing else need be done. But if it isn’t, you can follow the given steps to Change NAT Type on Xbox One:
- In the Network Settings screen itself, go to Advanced Settings option. Click on it. This will show more new options.
- Out of these options given, choose IP Settings, and then set it on Manual.
- Setting it as manual will enable you to change it yourself, anytime.
- After you have done this, you need to type a few things: the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address.
- If you don’t remember your IP address, you can go to your computer and Google it, or just use the Command Prompt.
- Open Command Prompt and enter “ipconfig” (without the quotation marks).
- Press Enter. The IP address, subnet mask, and gateway will be displayed there.
- Take these numbers and put it into the Xbox One settings. Press Save.
- You need to change the DNS as well.
- Take information from Command Prompt and type it into the DNS settings.
- When all of it is done, save the changes.
This was the first step. The second step requires changing your router settings.
- In your router settings, input the gateway address.
- You can find information on the Internet on how to access your router’s interface. Specifically, you need the model number, to get the gateway address.
- Again, in your router settings, go to the Port Forwarding option.
- Type in the IP address that you’re used in your console.
- Now in the Start Port and End Port fields, for each line, type in these numbers in respective order: 3074, 88, 80, 53.
- Save the changes done, and close it.
See also: How To Cancel CBS All Access Account
If you have done all of it correctly, you have managed to Change NAT Type on Xbox One. All of these might seem a bit complex, but follow the order given, and you will have your desired result.