Need to get on your computer, but you forgot the password? How can you get out of this situation without reinstalling Windows? Windows gives you the option to reset your password at the login screen, but you have to create a password reset disk when you can access the administrator account. What to do if you lost Windows admin password and had no reset disk? This tutorial will show you the easiest ways to Reset Forgotten Password.
2 Ways to Reset Forgotten Password
Using Windows Installation DVD
This method requires the original Windows installation DVD. Try booting to a Windows installation DVD and open a command prompt, you can then reset your forgotten local administrator password easily:
- Boot your computer from Windows installation DVD.
- When the Windows Setup screen appears, press SHIFT + F10 keyboard combination to open the Command Prompt.
- We have to substitute sethc.exe for cmd.exe, so type the following commands at the Command Prompt and press Enter.
copy d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe d:\
copy /y d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\sethc.exe
- When that’s done, reboot your computer and remove the DVD. When your PC boots back to the login screen, press Shift key for five times and the Command Prompt window will open.
- From there you can type the below command to reset your password:
net user user_name new_password
- Close the Command Prompt and you can now unlock your Windows system with the new password you set.
Using PCUnlocker Live USB
Can’t log in to Windows as all your admin accounts got disabled? Looking for a way to bypass the password for a Microsoft account in Windows 10 / 8? How can I activate a locked Windows account? All of these are possible if you have a copy of PCUnlocker, a bootable disk that lets you reset, change, bypass Windows passwords in just a few mouse clicks.
These steps are easy enough for newbies to follow:
- When you’re completely locked out of your own PC, use your friend’s PC to download the PCUnlocker ISO image, install the ISO file on to a USB flash drive (or CD) with ISO2Disc.
- Once you’ve created a PCUnlocker Live USB with ISO2Disc, plug it into the USB port of your own PC and change the boot sequence in the BIOS. After booting into the USB drive, you’ll see the following screen.
- Choose the Administrator account in the list, and then click the Reset Password button to unlock & reset your forgotten password.
- Click Restart and unplug the USB drive, you can now access your Windows administrator account without a password!
With either Windows installation DVD or PCUnlocker Live USB, you can Reset Forgotten Password with ease. Knowing such easy password cracking methods exist, what makes your computer secure? If you worry about someone sneaking into your computer when you’re away, you can lock the BIOS’s boot sequence with a password, or turn on BitLocker drive encryption.