Most Windows users unfamiliar with technical knowledge will surely fail to restore their Windows administrator password if forgotten. Indeed, you can format and re-install the operating system to remove the password from your computer, but that will destroy all the data inside your PC.
Windows password recovery tools are mainly used for recovering or cracking your PC password. Most password recovery programs remove the password from your computer so that you can log in without any password at all, and a few of them also help recover the password you have used to encrypt your computer. Some of the best password recovery software are Passfab 4Winkey, LCP Windows Password Cracker, Ishine Windows Password Genius, etc.
But never fear; we will list the best and top 5 free and paid Windows password recovery and best recovery software tools to help reset your computer password without losing any data. You can also check out our guide on organizing passwords using excel.
Table of Contents
Top 16 Windows Password Recovery Tools
So, here’s a list of some of the best hand-picked Windows password recovery tools out there. Passfab 4winkey, Ophcrack, LCP Windows Password Cracker, Ishine Windows Password, Lazesoft Recover My Password, Trinity Rescue Kit, John the Ripper, Passware Kit, Hash Suite, etc.
Have you forgotten the password for Windows? Do you need a simple tool to recover it? Here, we have Passfab 4winkey, an all-rounder, simple, and easy-to-use Windows recovery tool that many people use worldwide. It is unique and designed to recover the data the user has locked accidentally without losing it. It has a free version and a premium version as well.
Firstly, the user has to download and install it on another PC and run it.
- While running, the software creates a bootable drive (CD/DVD/USB) to control the installation.
- Then, remove the existing credentials to unlock the device.
This might lead to the existing data loss, so you are advised to use the premium version. The premium version works differently;
- The first step is always similar.
- As it runs, it resets the user/ admin and other passwords.
- The next step is to create an entirely new admin account, resetting the domain credentials and RAID server passwords.
Pros: The most significant advantage of using it is that it is available for all versions of Windows.
LCP Windows Password Cracker
It applies several methods to recover your password, such as –
- The first and the foremost – The Dictionary attack
- Secondly, it uses – the brute force attack
- Then – Hybrid dictionary and brute force attacks
- Last but not least – the session distributions and combing
It’s fantastic, and you should try it if you are in such a situation.
Pros: It is free and has many features in just a tiny application.
Cons: It is available for only low-end pcs.
Ishine Windows Password Genius
When it comes to password recovery, whether it be Windows, Mac, or Android, Shine Windows Password Genius comes in the list of top 5 applications –
Ishine Windows Password Genius has four versions
The Advanced Version
Pros: It is entirely safe and efficient, gives you a smooth experience, and is very user-friendly.
Cons: It has everything the user wants but is quite costly, and the ultimate version is affordable to only a handful of people.
Lazesoft Recover My Password
It’s undoubtedly one of the best Windows Password Recovery Tools one can recommend. Can’t remember your password and unable to sign up for your device? Now, don’t bother at all. Lazesoft Recover My Password lets you log in to your device without formatting your Windows OS.
All you have to do is download this tool on your machine and use it to burn a bootable CD or USB Flash Drive. It supports many disks like GPT and Dynamic Disk and file systems like FAT and NTFS.
- Free technical support
- 100% recovery rate
- Supports 32-bit and 64-bit Windows
- Unlocks user accounts easily
- Handy and easy to launch
You must have a distinct CD for each OS to reset the password.
Visit: Lazesoft Recover My Password
Cain and Abel
Cain and Abel are the most widely used Windows Password Recovery Tools. This software is user-friendly and procures security for users by demonstrating insecure passwords in an active system.
Unlike other Windows Password Recovery tools available in cyberspace, like Ophrack, this tool uses the dictionary technique and cracks the password. Many users operate this software for security purposes to analyze what they can skillfully discover on their systems.
- Easy to install
- Amazing features
- Uses advanced techniques to recover the password.
- The revised edition is still not available.
- Demands access to a Windows account.
Visit: Cain and Abel
Windows Password Reset
If you are not much into technology and in search of software that’s simple to use, then Kudos, you’re at the right place. Windows Password Reset is quick and helps almost all the versions of Windows. It enables the techies to build a fresh Admin account effortlessly so they do not have to log in to Windows.
Its simple yet user-friendly interface makes this software stand out from the rest of the Windows Password Recovery tools. Moreover, it can break down passwords of any size. There are no restrictions on the password length.
- Simple to operate
- Delivers explicit instructions.
- Free technical support
- Compatible with a varied range of file systems.
- It doesn’t support Linux
- It isn’t friendly with mobile systems
Visit: Windows Password Reset
Windows Password Recovery Bootdisk
Windows Password Recovery Bootdisk is one of the decent Windows Password Recovery tools. Downloads and ratings for this software are pretty high. It can raze Windows almost all the passwords from your Operating System. It’s safe and lets you lock programs with a master password.
This software has the incredible feature of protecting hashes of passwords to an outward file. Moreover, this mechanism brags about having a well-designed and modern interface, giving it an elegant look. It is 100% valid and entirely mechanical.
- Readily available
- Quicky recovers password
- The installation process is time-consuming
- You should have sufficient Computer knowledge.
Passper Winsenior is undoubtedly one of the promising Windows Password Recovery Tools. The popularity of the software is pretty great compared to other software tools. It renders an informative description to users so that techies can effortlessly recover passwords. It allows the users to develop an account without the administrator’s access. If you don’t remember your password to sign up for your device, this software is available to your rescue.
It can reset passwords in a go once you enter the Preinstallation Environment. Moreover, it allows users to build passwords and sign into their machines. It helps a plethora of USB Flash drives that include famous brands like Kingston, Samsung, and many more. Check out the link below to learn more and uncover its elements.
- Erases Windows Account
- Easy to operate
- Offers fast speed
- Supports limited Operating Systems
- You must have a paid version to access all the features.
Visit: Passper Winsenior
Ophcrack is the most widely used Windows password recovery tool to this date. It is quite old but manages to recover simple and weak passwords flawlessly.
To use this program, all you have to do is download the ISO image file of this tool, burn it on a CD/DVD or USB drive, and then use it to unlock your central system. It may take some time to crack the password, but it is one of the fastest Windows password crackers available online.
- Free and open-source program.
- ISO image file is bootable.
- No installation is needed.
- No matter if you remember the old password or not.
- Flawlessly work with Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
- You can only crack passwords up to 14 characters in length.
- Only simple passwords can be recovered.
- Doesn’t work with the latest Windows 8 and Windows 10 versions.
- Some antivirus detects it as malware by mistake.
TunesBro WinGeeker Ultimate
One of the most excellent Windows password recovery tools is TunesBro WinGeeker Ultimate. No password of any strength or length in the world cannot be cracked using this program.
It is super easy to use and doesn’t take more than 10-15 minutes to crack your computer password. TunesBro WinGeeker Ultimate is a desktop program so you can easily install and burn the ISO image file directly to your removable device.
It allows you to create a password reset disk with your thumb drive or CD/DVD, and then you can use it to remove the password from your locked system.
The USB drive will be bootable by default, and you will only have to click on “Reset Password” once the program is loaded on your locked computer to remove the password from the system.
- Easy to use.
- Crack any length of the password.
- Removes all types of encryption like text, PIN, Microsoft, and picture passwords.
- Works with over 2000+ computer and laptop brands like HP, Dell, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Lenovo, etc.
- Compatible with Windows XP/Vista 7/8/10 as well as with Windows servers.
- Analyzing the locked accounts is free, but you must register the program to unlock your PC.
Visit: TunesBro WinGeeker Ultimate
John The Ripper
Another one of the most reliable Windows password recovery tools is John The Ripper. It is free to use, but you can also upgrade the program to take full benefits.
See Also: 7 Best Outlook Password Decryptor Tools
John The Ripper compares all the words from the saved files to match your password. It is an astonishing program if you are using a dictionary-based password.
First, you will need to download the application from the official website and write the ISO image file on a CD/DVD, then use it to reset the password of your original computer.
- Free to use and readily available.
- Perfectly works with Windows XP/Vista/Unix and Windows 7.
- Compatible with 64-bit version computers.
- Difficult to install.
- It is a complicated program that requires technical knowledge to operate.
- A free version is not usable at all.
Visit: John The Ripper
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor
Offline NT Password & Registry Editor is one of the fastest Windows password recovery software, which is available without any cost.
This program needs no installation; download the ISO image file, burn it on a CD/DVD or a pen drive, and then follow the instructions to reset the password of your computer’s administrator account.
This program removes the password from your PC, so you don’t need to remember past passwords.
- It is freely available, and you can download it from the official website.
- The ISO image file is minimal in size.
- Password recovery is rapid.
- It helps reset other file passwords, WinZip, RAR files, etc.
- It’s a text-based program, so it’s a bit complicated.
- It is not recommended for computer noobs.
- Any wrong selection of options may crash your hard drive.
Trinity Rescue Kit
Last, we have Trinity Rescue Kit, another member of flawless Windows Password Recovery Tools. It uses a robust algorithm to erase the login screen from your computer.
So, it doesn’t matter what kind of password you have used to protect your computer because it will simply destroy the login screen so you can enter your PC without any login password.
- Reset any Windows passwords.
- Works perfectly with local and administrator accounts.
- It was tested on the latest Windows 10 with successful results.
- Smaller in size and easy to burn the ISO image file.
- Challenging to use since the program is depends on the text.
- Doesn’t work with Windows 64-bit versions.
- You should also have adequate Computing Knowledge.
Visit: Trinity Rescue Kit
Pre Created Password Reset
Pre Created Password Reset is probably the best to crack into and recover the PC out of all the Windows Password Recovery Tools. To access your system without a password, you must create a password reset disk from Windows. This resetting must be performed before the recovery process, so if you’re struggling without preparations, clip this out of your options.
Open the start menu and type “Create a password reset link.” A wizard will appear on the screen and guide you further. It’s simple and reliable for almost any Windows.
- Easy and Simple To Follow
- Applicable in all Windows
- Easy to burn ISO file
- Pre-setup needed
- Recovery won’t work if initial iso is not created
UBCD Password Recovery tool
Apart from the Windows password recovery, the tool has much more to offer, but here, we will mainly focus on password recovery.
Many Windows Password Recovery Tools have some limitations, and most have been eliminated to a greater extent by UBCD password recovery. The software name abbreviation is the ultimate boot CD password recovery tool.
The tool enables you to perform floppy-based diagnostics consolidated into one bootable CD. Install the latest version of UBCD in ISO form and burn it to a disk or a USB drive.
Once the booting is complete, plug the drive into the locked PC. On the boot menu, you will see “Parted Magic.” Go to that option and hit enter. That’s it. You’re now good to begin the resetting process.
A new window shows up asking about the drive partitions. Select the correct option to begin the Chntpw utility service. Follow the on-screen instructions to select the users and modify or delete the passwords. Once you’re done with this process, press q and enter to quit and y and enter to confirm the changes made.
- Quick and easy process
- Less technicality required
- Updates can be critical
- Beta versions are test softwares and can cause problems.
PassMoz Windows Password Recovery
The specialty of Passmoz is that it is incredibly faster than all other tools and built with straightforward UI for enhanced customer experience. Though the service is not accessible, each penny is worth spending.
The specialty of PassMoz recovery of all the other Windows Password Recovery Tools is this: it doesn’t go Brute force but directly removes the password.
Multiple tutorials can correctly speak out about its setup and running setup, so you’ve got covered for everything with this fantastic software.
- Unlike Windows Password Recovery Tools, there is no Brute Force login and a clean and friendly process.
- Fast and efficient
- Intuitive and user-friendly UI
- Paid Subscription required
How do Windows password recovery tools work?
Windows password recovery tools work by either resetting the password or recovering it from the system files, allowing users to log in to their Windows account without knowing the original password.
Are Windows password recovery tools legal to use?
Yes, Windows password recovery tools are legal to use on your own computer. However, it's important to respect the privacy and security of others and not use these tools for unauthorize access.
Can I use Windows password recovery tools on any version of Windows?
Windows password recovery tools are typically compatible with various versions of Windows, including Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.
Do I need technical knowledge to use Windows password recovery tools?
While some Windows password recovery tools may require basic technical knowledge, many user-friendly tools provide step-by-step instructions or graphical interfaces, making the process accessible to users with varying levels of expertise.
Can Windows password recovery tools recover passwords for Microsoft accounts?
Yes, some Windows password recovery tools can recover passwords for local user accounts as well as Microsoft accounts linked to services like Outlook, Xbox, or Office 365.
Are there free Windows password recovery tools available?
Yes, there are free Windows password recovery tools available, offering basic password recovery functionality. However, more advanced features may be available in paid versions or premium software.
Here, we discussed some of the best Windows Password Recovery Tools. We hope you liked our guide. In case you have any questions, feel free to ask below.