Pixelating an image is making the pixels in the whole or a part of the picture more prominent as well as unclear. The reason can be for censorship or to maintain the anonymity of the contents. Therefore, pixelating an image is a loss of data contained in the picture. You can Pixelate an image using Microsoft Paint.
Here are the steps to pixelate an image using Microsoft Paint:
- Open Paint from the Windows Start menu’s Programs, then choose the ‘Accessories‘ option
- From the top menu, select the Home tab, and click on the Resize button in the image box.
- Enter a custom resolution for the image in the Resize button, which should be less than the number already in the field, and the lower the number, the more pixelation.
- This will result in the image appearing pixelated; after that, just save it.
You might need to know how to pixelate an image for numerous reasons. It might be to save some space, hide someone’s identity, or just as an effect. Let us know how you can use Microsoft Paint to Pixelate an image.
Table of Contents
Steps to Pixelate an Image Using Microsoft Paint
This can be done in a wide variety of ways, and so, there are a lot of tools designed for this process exclusively. However, the basic pixelation process can be done quickly using Microsoft Paint. The process is quite simple and here are the steps you will need to follow.
- Make a copy of the picture you want to pixelate, and then right-click on the copy and select Edit.
- This should open the image in edit mode in Microsoft Paint.
If it doesn’t open directly in Microsoft Paint, Right Click on the image, select Open With and choose Microsoft Paint from the list.
Basic Pixelation Using Microsoft Paint
- From the top menu, select the Home tab and in the image box, click on the Resize button.
- A Resize and Skew window should pop up. In this windows, click on the circle next to Pixels.
- In the field next to Horizontal under the Resize heading, enter the custom resolution.
- Make a note of the resolution. This new number that you put in this field should be less than the number already in the field. The lower the number, the more the pixelation.
- Once you have entered the custom resolution, click on the OK button to pixelate an image.
- Click on the File tab and select Save as and from the list of available formats, choose the one you want or prefer.
- Open this saved image again in Microsoft Paint just like in the beginning.
- Click on the Home tab and click the Resize button.
- Navigate to the Pixels menu again and now enter the original resolution.
- Save this again in the format you desire.
- You can open the image in any photos application, and you will notice that the image now appears pixelated.
This is how you pixelate an image using Microsoft Paint. Subsequently, please keep in mind that image editing is a processor hungry task and so, it uses a substantial amount of other resources. As a result, we recommend that you do not run any processes in the background during the procedure.
Also, prefer doing the pixelation process on a machine with suitable hardware. Bigger the image, the longer the time it will take. For laptop users, it is better if you carry out the procedure while charging for maximum performance.
Steps to Pixelate a Part of Image
You can also pixelate image or a part of it online too. However, if you aim to pixelate a picture instead of the whole image using Microsoft Paint, follow these steps:
- Create a new copy of the picture you want to pixelate. Right-click on the copy of the image and select Edit.
- This should open the image in edit mode in Microsoft Paint. If it doesn’t open directly in Paint, Right Click on the image, select Open With.., and select Microsoft Paint from the list.
- Under the Image category, select the Select button. and using the Select tool, select the area of the image that you want to pixelate.
- Click on the Crop button next to the Select button.
- Save this as a new image and open it again in Microsoft Paint.
- In the top menu, select the Home tab and under the image box, select resize.
- A Resize and Skew window should pop up. In this windows, click on the circle next to Pixels.
- In the field next to Horizontal under the Resize heading, enter the custom resolution. Make a note of the resolution.
- This new number that you put in this field should be less than the number already in the field. The lower the number, the more the pixelation.
- After entering the custom resolution, click on the OK button.
- Click on the File tab and select Save as and from the list of available formats, choose the one you want to save or export it in.
- Open the saved image using Microsoft Paint again.
- Under the Home tab, click the Resize button and go to the Pixels menu again and now enter the original resolution.
- Save this again in the format that you desire and open the original image to pixelate inside Microsoft Paint.
- Right-click the pixelated image and select copy. Alternatively, you can single click the pixelated image and press the key combination Ctrl + C.
- Back in Microsoft Paint, click on the paste button. This should paste the pixelated image into your original image.
- Align the pixelated image along with the part you wanted to pixelate. Finally, export the image in the format you want.
See also: How to Combine Two Pictures in MS Paint [Easy Guide]
Using Online Tools For Pixelating An Image
Here are some amazing online tools that you can use to pixelate an image the way you want it! These applications are easy to use as well as highly reliable. They offer strong security and unique editing features for you. So keep on experimenting with your photos using these friendly apps!
Pinetools is a free editing app that helps you pixelate an image according to your desires. You can enlarge a photo as much as you want it as well as intentionally blur your pictures.
This online app is exceptionally user-friendly, and all you need to access it is a browser.
Step By Step Demonstration to Pixelate:
- Go to your web browser and access Pinetools.
- Upload the photo you wish to edit.
- Hover and drag on the image and select the parts that need to be blurred or pixelated.
- Now, you need to choose the suitable Block Size for pixelation in that area.
- Finally, click the green censor button you see at the bottom of the screen.
There you go! As soon as you finish with the last step, Pinetools will efficiently edit the image as per your specifications. To access the image, you will need to download the image after the editing is done.
Pinetools has high security. Consequently, it is exceptionally reliable for users. You can conveniently use this app for various work-related or personal tasks. Moreover, it is best used for informal editings, like adding cool as well as funny effects to images.
See also: 13 Best Free Image Viewer Software To Download 
Are you looking for an easy-to-use app for pixelation and wish to edit large photos from top-to-toe? Then LunaPic is just for you!
This app is known for its convenience and ‘to the point’ usage.
- Firstly, open LunaPic and go to the menu bar.
- Select Adjust and then choose Pixelate. Alternatively, if you wish to blur your image, click on Adjust, and then choose Blur.
- Upload your desired image. Alternatively, you can also share the URL of your desired image on their website.
- Now use the pixelation slider to alter the pixel size of the image as you want.
- Once you are complete the editing part, click on Apply.
You can try out different effects numerous times on the image for more or less intensity. After editing, you can directly download once your image on your device with a suitable extension.
The Facepixelizer App
Facepixelizer is also an efficient choice for pixelating images. Above all, this app works best for formal reasons like censoring confidential information on an image.
You can edit out specific portions of the image, if not the entire image, using this app. In addition, you get the benefit of detailed editing with this app.
How to use Facepixelizer?
- Go to the image editor section and add your photo.
- Choose the editing menu option and select Manual.
- Now, choose individual pixel size to pixelate an image according to your needs.
- Select as well as edit the specific parts of the image as you want.
- Finally, go to Save image and save the modified version on your device!
This is a secure website. As a result, your images do not get registered on the site. So, you can use this app to pixelate an image and for editing all sensitive personal photos and be rest assured!
See also: 11 Best Duplicate Photo Finder Tools for Windows (Updated)
Like to pixelate an image in Photoshop to hold the isolation of a person, sure we got you guys. Above all, you can even use it for the cool effects it makes (reminds me of Minecraft a bit). Here we are going to reveal you how you can use the pixelate tool to eliminate the privacy of a profile in Photoshop.
- Firstly, open the Photoshop window
- Secondly, go to File >> Open and choose your image.
- Thirdly, head to Filter >> Pixelate >> Mosaic.
- Pick the cell size (Amount of squares).
- Like your pixelated photo!
See also: 10 Best Image Watermark Software for Windows to Use Now!
These are the most straightforward series of steps that are needed to pixelate an image or a part of it using Microsoft Paint. There are other image editing techniques that you can learn, too, like unbluring the photos, making the background transparent, and more! You can pixelate an image in different styles using other software or image pixelator that are mainly present to pixelate an image.
In conclusion, even though the process of pixelating an image seems long and complicated, it is a combination of quite simple steps. Try it out yourself, and you will know.