PC Games have revolutionized the gaming industry. And a significant factor towards achieving that is the third party gaming mods. Dota 2 and Half-life 2 mods even to this day and age are considered legends, so much so that they went on to become standalone games later on. Nexus Mod Manager is a program that allows game mods to be installed and modified on the system. With over 200 supported game mods and 10 million registered users, it is one of the most extensive game mod programs available for PC. So, you can understand the frustration when the Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open.
If you too have come across such situations, you need not worry. Here are a few nifty tricks to help fix your problem of nexus mod manager not opening.
- 1 How to Fix Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open Error
- 1.1 Check for Proper Version of .NET Framework
- 1.2 Run Nexus Mod Manager as an Administrator
- 1.3 Run in Compatibility Mode
- 1.4 Delete the User Config File
- 1.5 Delete Previous Contents
- 1.6 Check your Antivirus for Issues
- 1.7 Downgrade your Nexus Mod Manager
- 1.8 Fresh Install of NMM
- 1.9 Most Common Method
- 1.10 Use System Restore
- 1.11 Check to see if the Application was Blocked for Security Reasons
- 2 Conclusion
How to Fix Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open Error
Here are some ways by which we can solve the problem Nexus Mod Manager
Check for Proper Version of .NET Framework
Sometimes the method could be as simple as having the right release of .NET Framework Version 4 on your PC. If you have installed the latest build of Nexus Mod Manager 0.61.6, then you need to install the proper version of .NET Framework 4.6.
Nexus Mod Manager won’t open if you are still running older version of .NET Framework.
Run Nexus Mod Manager as an Administrator
Before jumping on to any complicated steps to solve nexus mod manager won’t launch, you might want to try some simple tweaks to try and see if that solves your problem. If you suddenly started to get Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open error, this could be due to a new update.
First of all, try running the Nexus Mod Manager as an administrator. This should fix the problem of nexus mod manager not working. To do this, right-click on the Nexus Mod Manager client and click Run as Administrator. NMM might fail to open when you have installed a new update and to execute those files, Administrator privilege is required.
Run in Compatibility Mode
If your system is running the latest Windows 10 and the Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open, you should try the compatibility settings to see if reverting to an old version of the OS helps.
To do this you can directly click on Troubleshoot Compatibility by right-clicking on the NMM icon, or you can do it manually:
- Right-click on the Nexus Mod Manager client on the desktop.
- Select Properties.
- Click on the compatibility tab.
- Select Windows 8 in compatibility mode.
- Hit Apply and OK.
It should fix your problem of nexus mod manager or else the Nexus Mod Manager won’t open. If the problem still isn’t resolved, move on to the next step.
Delete the User Config File
You can try this if your nexus mod manager won’t start. The config file associated with the game profile might have been corrupted, and you might have to set up a new config file.
It happens when you have downloaded a mod for a new game, and that runs in conflict with your previous games, Nexus Mod Manager won’t open. You can delete the config file associated with the Nexus Mod Manager client.
Don’t worry about doing this won’t delete your save game data. Browse to the following folder on your system:
C:/Users/Your name/AppData/Local/Black_Tree_Gaming/NexuxClient.exe…../version number(0,63.13.0)/user.config
It won’t affect your existing games or mod profiles; you will just have to get the start menu again for all the games individually.
Delete Previous Contents
To fix your problem of Nexus Mod Manager
- Go to your Nexus Mod Manager Destination drive. You can find the folder.
- If you aren’t able to find AppData folder, you need to tick show hidden files and folders under files and other options for solving nexus mod manager wont open.
- Now make a backup of the NexusClient.exe Url folder and place it somewhere else on your PC.
- Then delete all contents of the Black Tree Gaming folder. Then re-launch Nexus Mod Manager. It should open and start looking up for games installed on your PC. If another error pops up on the screen about exceptions, just hit “continue” and it should keep working.
Check your Antivirus for Issues
Often the culprit why Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open could be your antivirus software which might probably be blocking some of the critical files required for the execution of Nexus Mod Manager to work.
You can do this by temporarily disabling your anti-virus system or add NMM to the whitelist or adding the program exe into the exceptions list.
Downgrade your Nexus Mod Manager
If you have installed a new update, it might be the reason why the Nexus Mod Manager won’t open. It usually occurs when a new update file wasn’t installed correctly, or it is not compatible with the system.
To fix this, try to revert to an older version of Nexus Mod Manager. You can get the old files form here.
Fresh Install of NMM
If none of the above help and Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open, you could try and do a fresh install of Nexus Mod Manager. Before doing this, note down the version, installation information and the virtual install path of each game.
- Uninstall Nexus Mod Manager.
- Select to remove all contents and settings when asked.
- Go to Run.
- Type “regedit”.
- Go to edit>find and type NMM.
- Delete all the files associated with NMM.
- Reinstall Nexus Mod Manager.
See Also : 3 Ways to Root LG G3 Smartphone With Ease
Most Common Method
A method commonly used by people which was originated on Reddit. This method will only work to fix Nexus Mod Manager if certain criteria have been met. So to check whether this solution will solve your issue or not we need to follow these steps-
- Click on the Start menu on the system and search for Event viewer and then click on the first option that pops up.
- On the left-hand side of this Window screen, click on the Window logs option and select Application. After the selection application, we will be able to see the bunch of entries with their labels in the center of the screen.
- Now, try to look for the entries which correspond with the date and time when you decided to launch the Nexus Mod Manager. If you are not sure, then open Nexus Mod Manager app and click on refresh. You will be able to see three new entries.
- The three entries will be like, NET runtime, Application Error, and Windows error reporting. At the bottom of the Window, there will be a section of General and Details. In the general tab look for the error. The name of the application should be NexusClient.exe.
- Under that there will be a framework version, click on the exception info, if the exception window reads System.Xml.XmlException, then the solution would be helpful to you
Now let’s see the steps for solving the problem, or else Nexus Mod Manager won’t open
- Open file explorer on your system and click on the following location.
- If the App data folder is not seen then click on view hidden files and folders. Now the app data folder will be visible.
- Back up the contents of the Blac_Tree_Gaming folder to another location. Then relaunch the Nexus Mod Manager.
Use System Restore
If you have installed some suspicious programs on your system, those programs may interfere with the Nexus Mod Manager. Your safest play in this situation is to restore your computer to the point when all these issues were not there. To do so:
- In the start menu. Search for system restore option. Click on create a restore point.
- From the system properties window, open the Protection settings and make sure that the protection is enabled on your Local disk C.
- Allocate the maximum disk space for the system protection as long as it is of some gigabytes.
- Click on Apply and then on OK to apply the settings.
- Now the system will create a restore point automatically whenever any alteration happens inside your windows.
After completing with the points mentioned above, follow these steps:
- Search for System Restore in the search menu, and click on create a restore point. In the System Restore window, click on System Restore.
- In the System, restore Window select the opinion of different restore points and click on next.
- Now choose a particular restore point you saved before manually. You can select any restore point available in the list and then click on the Next button to start the restoration process.
- After this process, you will be reverted to the state it was in at that period of time. Then check the Nexus Mod Manager.
Check to see if the Application was Blocked for Security Reasons
The Windows Security team consisting of Windows Defender, Firewall, UAC may see threats in some of the application and block them for security reasons.
This will make the applications stop working on your system, and because of this Nexus Mod Manager won’t open To solve the problem, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Nexus Mod Manager icon on the desktop and click on Open File Location.
- When the folder opens, click on the client file and choose properties. If the application was blocked, then you will see a text in the properties window, which will tell you the reason why it was blocked. Just click on Unblock and apply the changes.
- Restart your system and see if the problem is solved.
Hopefully, this should fix the issue of Nexus Mod Manager Won’t Open and get it started again. If, however, all of these steps fail, your only hope is to do a clean install of Windows. But you better hope it doesn’t come to that!
These were the ways by which you can enjoy the gaming experience with ease and say bye to the frustration caused by its not working. Do try each of these ways to fix your Nexus Mod Manager and improve your internet experience. Keep visiting us for more such articles. If still your Nexus Mod Manager won’t open, read our other articles for details.